48re problem,before and after new vb and converter

Btp 2332

Long story short, a couple months ago my trans started acting up. In order to get the truck to move I would need to leave it in neutral for a few moments to get the fluid moving then it would work. I figured because I didnt drive it on the street the fluid was returning back to the pan when it sat. One day I loaded it on the trailer, got to the drag strip, got it off the trailer then that was it wouldnt move again. Left it in reverse and a few moments later it worked, ran 3 passes and went home. So I decided to return the truck back to street and go with a tighter Goerend converter. Changed converters, truck would not move. Checked pressure and it had 0. Called Goerend and got another valve body now (manual vb). Replaced that last night, nothing still will not move. When changing the converter it went in pretty smooth so we didnt slam into the pump but leaning toward the pump not working. Any thoughts here guys would be apprec. Thanks

Well, first, I would say unless you changed it your truck has a 47re.

The issue of not going ito gear the first start of the day is called morning sickness. It is as you guessed, the converter is draining into the pan when it sits.
This is ussually a loose converter bushing. Very common also.
Start it go to neutrla for 30 seconds and let it fill.

Second issue is you may have broke the pump putting in the converter.
Did the converter drop in 3 times as you turned it?
Did you put the converter on the flexplate first? ( I hope not, but I have seen guys do that. ) This can break the pump gears.
It needs to come out to be inspected.

Well, first, I would say unless you changed it your truck has a 47re.

The issue of not going ito gear the first start of the day is called morning sickness. It is as you guessed, the converter is draining into the pan when it sits.
This is ussually a loose converter bushing. Very common also.
Start it go to neutrla for 30 seconds and let it fill.

Second issue is you may have broke the pump putting in the converter.
Did the converter drop in 3 times as you turned it?
Did you put the converter on the flexplate first? ( I hope not, but I have seen guys do that. ) This can break the pump gears.
It needs to come out to be inspected.

lol

I will fix that typo yeah obviously 47 not 48. I can let it sit in neutral for 5 mins it wont work. I dont think its a converter bushing since its the second converter, converter is in the whole way dropped in 3 times.

If you have 0 line pressure and you've tried 2 valve bodies I would change the pump, good chance you have a pump problem of sorts.

Lavon

I havent had a chance to check pressure since the new valve body. Was going to check that today then have a look at the pump. Thanks guys.

If you have good mainline pressure then I'd guess you blew out the forward piston seal or a converter issue.

Lavon

Got the trans back out again, looked over the pump and this is the second pump that I have done that has done this. Both pumps were in with the same valve body and converter until now which I have replaced both the valve body and converter with new ones. There is a 30 thousands groove worn into it. Checked the flex plate everything is fine. The pump was starved of fluid because now its purple and has that wear in it. I have another new pump ready to go, new converter, new manuel valve body ready to go. Thoughts on anything before putting it back together?

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

when you install your tranny make sure your converter to flex plate has some clearance otherwise you scrap the pump

Last edited by a moderator:
I double checked the clearance theres about a 1/4 in this time. I dont remember checking it last time. Everything is working good now so far.

Back