4x4, at speed hop and Caltracs

JasonCzerak

I lost a bunch of weight on the rear and I now have a bit of wheel hop at speed in 2wd over average smooth roads. Say, 40mph, rolling into the throttle aggressively the truck moves then seems to unload.

I wanna say shocks. I've tinkered with this. I have the rancho 9000's. Tried them 2 clicks at a time from soft to stiff. No real change.

Truck handled very well other wise. Accelerating in 4x4, around turns, etc. caltracs were in the middle hole. Not sure where I had the pre-set, it was years ago since I last touched them.

Tires are new nitto 420s. 305's. 46psi in front, 36 psi in rear.

Weight is 7000# with me and 1/4 tank. 4560 / 2440

The other thing I figured I'd do as well was to re-adjust the caltracs since the weight changed a few hundred pounds.

Figured I see how things react in the bottom hole adjusted to the spring + 1 full turn (with a driver in the seat). This seemed to unsettle the truck. doesn't feel as stable.

This was an interesting read:
http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/tuning-4-link.html

So after reading that and a bunch of other thinks, I believe having my instant center way to forward was a bad thing.

My plan is to go back to the middle hole for sure and put 1/2 turn of pre-load and see how things react. The up to the top hole.

I may get some strings out and see if I can measure to figure out where the instant center is and see if it lines up with the antisquate line

Anyone have any other suggestions?

That sounds like a damaged tire, or shocks, or maybe you threw a wheel weight?

I've run my caltrac bars from 3/16" unloaded, to heavily pre-loaded, with no issues, but my shocks have less than a couple hundred miles on them.

Back