4x4 mileage 33" or 35" tire

full pull

Sales&Support Valair Inc
I drive mostly highway miles, so I was thinking the taller tire would drop the RPM down and mabe net better MPG.

Is the taller, heavier tire going to negate any highway advantages during stop and go driving.

This is a 4x4 RCLB about 300hp NV4500 and 3:54 gears. I drive 65 miles a day with about 6 stop signs, 40 miles is all highway @ 70MPH

Thoughts?

If it's 16" I would look at a 255-85/16. 33-33.5 tall, fairly narrow, and not a heavy tire.

There are 285/75R16 on there now. Will be going to 17s.

In my opinion don't go 315/75/16 unless you go load range E. I have 315 D rated tires and I got ok mileage with them, however they squat up front and in my mind cause more drag. Also doesn't look much taller or give more clearance because of the squat. Even though the RPM's are lower vs the 285 tires my mileage went down.

I have 3.54's as well and it's a dog down low, even with small towing twins. However my truck has a tight converter, the deep first gear with the NV4500 would cure that.

Next time around I'm going back to 285/75/16. Cheaper, easier to find load range E, handles and rides better, wears better, etc.

-Dustin-

In my opinion don't go 315/75/16 unless you go load range E. I have 315 D rated tires and I got ok mileage with them, however they squat up front and in my mind cause more drag. Also doesn't look much taller or give more clearance because of the squat. Even though the RPM's are lower vs the 285 tires my mileage went down.

I have 3.54's as well and it's a dog down low, even with small towing twins. However my truck has a tight converter, the deep first gear with the NV4500 would cure that.

Next time around I'm going back to 285/75/16. Cheaper, easier to find load range E, handles and rides better, wears better, etc.

-Dustin-

Are you compensating for the difference in your odometer with the taller tires when calculating your mileage?

I will be running 17 in tires, just not sure if they will be 33 or 35.

Yes with a taller tire you will be going further than the odometer says.

Yes I am. I got between 16-17.5 over a 3500 mile trip. That's with small twins, 5.014 injectors, and poor fuel tuning and a bed full of stuff. Not horrible, but the the only good part of 315's being looks I'm going back to 285's. The way they handle on 8 inch wide wheels isn't great. If you go 17x10 I'd reconsider.

-Dustin-

Last edited:
well ive got 3:55 gearing/nv4500junk/150s/57mm charger and other stuff. on my cummins with currently bald 315s and acording to the odom. i was getting 16 mpg. im not sure what that would be after you calibrate it for the larger tires but not too bad.

ya i need a smaller tire with the trans ive got, gear spacing is terrible and the big tires make it worse. going to get of 33s soon.

The Mileage is about a wash, there is prob more Rolling Resistance differences between the actual tires you choose (Brand and Type) than the actual size. Anytime your add more weight to the tire, you will lose mileage.

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the 33's getting better mileage.

I was averaging 16-18 with 4.10s and 33s, driving freeway, LA traffic, and streets. Probably about 800lbs of stuff in the truck. Odometer and gps miles so it was accurate. Got almost 21 running down to az with a stop in glamis too. Damn truck never ceased to amaze me.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

Im averaging 19-20 now, maybe thats the best I can do. On a recent trip from TX to MI I averaged 25mpg unloaded, but only 16 on the way back with a loaded enclosed trailor running 75-80mph.

Back