4x4 not working

Dazed&Confused

Surfing my own world
Ok dad has a 97 F350 PSD 4x4 cab and chasis truck that is having issues with the hubs. The truck has auto locking hubs and they are not engaging. This truck was a flood recovery truck and I've not messed with the auto hubs before. Anyone have any ideas?

Auto hubs are vacuum operated. Does his heat valve and air vents actuate? If not it could the the vacuum pump. If so then it could be the hubs. The auto setup is not they great. I'd remove them and put a set of Warren manual hubs in.

That's what I told him but he doesn't want to spend any money on locking hubs. I'll have to see if the heat controls are acting the way they are suppose to.

How do the OBS auto hubs work then?

They're simply activated when the axle shaft turns. If he's not wanting to spend much money, you might get lucky and be able to tear 'em apart and clean 'em up. They're not that complicated, just clean 'em up with some brake cleaner and don't try to put any grease in there.

I'm hoping they are just dirty and we can get them working. The truck has less then 80k mikes on it I believe.

On the auto hubs on those trucks they only have three "fingers" that mesh to lock the hub. Problem is the play in them especially when changing directions. Most are sheared off and need replaced. If you can get them cleaned and working always ease into it after locking into 4wd especially if you change directions. when you feel the front pull you can put the power to it and be safe

Well we hit the normal junkyards and we couldn't find any. I took the driverside apart to clean up and there are only 3 pieces in there. I've never dealt with these but it seems something is missing.

Light built for sure but if you can get them working and treat them right they'l do ok. I should be down to the yard I go to soon I'll see if I can spot a set. Get some good deals there

Back