4X4 steering fixes ect!

Jim Fulmer

97' 4x4 with a worn front end, I know the steering stabilizer ect but looking for some feed back on best practices on do's and don'ts as I look at steering braces and track bars. The truck in question is used as a cow feed truck so it is abused daily.........let's call it a virgin 12V pet project!

Jim

If you want to spend the money, IMO, don thuren makes a hell of a track bar. Otherwise I just buy the moog factory replacement with lifetime warranty afrom NAPA and swap it out every 10k.

Last edited:
Moog balljoints, 3rd gen track bar conversion, steering box brace, Borgeson gear box and Borgeson steering shaft, and new control arms

Give me a call when you get up and around today jeff, maybe i can give you some advice for a change LOL i use to do a little bit of that stuff with the purple truck. I can show you some stuff on it too that i retained when i lowered it back down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I added 99HD steering, 3rd gen track bar conversion, steering brace, new sway bar links, grease able sway bar bushing and mount, new hub assemblies, and a couple of steering stabilizers. Also tighten down the set screw on the steering box.

Finally got it to steer and handle the way I want it to.

Why / whose new control arms

Stock stamped are just fine but most will have destroyed bushings by now. You could just press in new bushings, but many find it easier/more aesthetic to buy new tubular arms with poly bushings. Some offer adjustability to boot.

I've always used DT Pro fab and haven't been let down. I have a dual stabilizer setup on my ford with bilstein's from Top Gun Customs, it's been good and reasonably priced.

You say farm truck, so that leads me to believe stockish rebuild is acceptable. Box brace and new moog components would work. It is a dodge front end though, so you can get as wild as you want.

moog balljoints

and thuren track bar worked wonders on my old 96..in 165K of owning it, i just did the front end once, and that truck saw ranch roads everyday... it was also lifted 2 inches from skyjacker, and had their control arms and bushings.. did new bushings when i did the balljoints and bar...

I'm a big fan of thurens stuff. Also the steering box brace. There's also a thing called a rock ram steering bushing (think that's right) that replaces the bearing that goes supports the steering shaft through the firewall. Cheap and works nice.

Here ya go. 'Rock Solid' Ram Truck Steering !

Last edited:
I used energy suspension control arm bushings and an aftermarket third gen style adjustable track bar.

I used some heat on the control arms themselves and the old bushings popped right out, some of them flew out

And if you do upgrade the track bar I strongly recommend an entire aftermarket track bar kit, I tried to save some money by purchasing a stock third gen bar and a mount for it. The mount was a poor design and a waste of money, so I got rid of that setup and spent around 400 on a decent adjustable kit and I've had no problems with it

I replaced my front end parts with Moog balljoints and tie rod ends. They are very heavy duty and come with a lifetime warranty. I have yet to do the track bar and control arms, but even just doing those few things made the truck handle a LOT better. When I get the money I can't wait to see how a new track bar and control arms feel.

You can use the 3rd gen dragling/tie rod upgrade for the 2nd gens, and its way cheaper than replacing it with the 98-99 style steering components. Just need a pitman arm for a 01 to bolt it all in.

I just did the new tie rods/drag link, Borg box, Borg shaft, DSS, control arms, sway bar endlinks and ball joints in the fall. Only thing old in the front end is the steering damper. Drove like a completely different truck.

Again all good info, that why I asked you'll. Guess I'll sit down at lunch with my service manual and map out a plan. The trucks from end is pretty sloppy from what he says, also I get to do the temp fix on a KDP failure, should be interesting, then 3K's, a timing bump and a shaved stock plate.

Thanks once again to everybody.

Jim

Back