5.9 fire ring question

ahale2772

Question for those with fire ring experience.

The fire ring HG kit I got from Keating includes fire rings with an OD that measures ~ 4.5 inches. The ring cross section diameter is .105" (ID at 4.29")

that makes the center line of the ring a 4.395"

the machine shop that I sent my head to that has done "over 50" of these style groves machined the grove center on the head at 4.420 (.120 with, .030 depth, 4.30 ID, 4.54 OD)

therefore, the fire rings sit on the inside of the grove in the head. (theoretically .01 interference) The machinist claims this helps align the ring, and says he has never seen a failure.

Keating wants .015 of clearance on either side of the ring (centered at 4.395), as in the ring does not center it self at all, and has room to compress into an oval shape without touching either side of the grove.

should I attempt to run it? or cut the ID of the head grove back another .025 to bring it to Keating's spec?

Well... If it's Keating that produces the part, and He knows how it works and what it takes to seal correctly... I would go with keating. I highly doubt that Little smart mofo would steer you wrong

I hear that. At this point the machine shop is 2hrs away and I guess I'm looking for a "yeah, ive done one like that, it will work"

Go with Keating's spec.. there is a ton of badass $hit running around like that.

I'll say avoid the square grooves, if it's not too late!!!!

Square is the best way to go. Less room for error and better sealing surfaces. Always run square. Ran rounded one time nothing but issues with sealing.

sq is better. on nos gasser mtrs anyways...cut em to the spec or it wont smash flat enough to make the rest of the gasket clamp right and usually we got coolant leaks then

Back