5 speed swap question

josh03

don't ask
swapping a 5 speed in place of my 47re, got everything set up and bolting the nv4500 up tomorrow, just curious if anyone knows how to solve the neutral safety switch problem- as in how do I make the truck start without the auto there telling it that it is in park or neutral? Is there a wire to jump or a sensor to plug in? Thanks!

well I cruised around on some forums and found what looks like my answer; there is a three wire plug on the auto and apparently the middle wire on the plug needs to be ran up to one of the two wires on the clutch pedal, and the other wire on that pedal plug needs to be grounded. And then the other two wires on the original auto plug are the reverse lights and they can be hooked to the two wires on the nv4500 in any particular order and it should all work. Feel free to correct me if I've missed something, and I'll know tomorrow!

There is the harness under the dash, where the clutch safety switch plugs into. Take the jumper out, install to the clutch switch. The three wire harness underneath, two of the wires are for the reverse lights like you said, the third just needs to be grounded. It already comes from the harness under the dash, so no need to route it back up there. Thats what we did on the '95 I helped do the swap on.

Also, if you want/have cruise, there is a wire on one of the computer plugs that needs to be cut, and capped off for it to work. Took me about 6 months before I figured that out. But yes, as stated above, that's all that needs to be done with the wires.

ya so everything works as it should, clutch safety switch, cruise, etc... except for my reverse lights. everything was hooked up properly, it plug just might not be in all the way, i'll check it out later. Just happy to have a 5 speed in place of that auto!

My backup lights have not worked since my tranny rebuild. Switch checks good so, go figure. Might be a problem on the rail, not sure.

it sounds bad but i just left the shifter in park pulled shifter handle off ive got cruise but no safety switch

I got it all to work, reverse lights included, with just the pointers from the forum. Real easy swap on the up to 97 12 valve, anybody with questions in the future feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to give you what I know over the phone or something. Definitely suggest it to anyone that is tired of auto probs

Back