518 low stall converter

79powerwagon

Looking for opinions on low stall converters for the 518 in my 79

Was looking at revmax & emailed them for more info (stall speed, billet cover or not) but have not heard back.

Any other good budget options out there?

DPC, best on the market. Call Phil and he will tell you what you want.

Yeah I've got the budget converter tune up already.

I'll look into DPC

Thanks guys

For those that run a low stall, did you feel it was a worthwhile upgrade for the 518?

I know most say swap to a lockup trans. I don't know that it's needed for a lighter street/play truck

I like TCS Products converters/billet stuff.

TCS Products

They were the makers of the excellent parts that DTT flogged.

Yes, worth it, the stall you need will depend on what turbo/s & power you have.

Seems like since he quit making transmissions people don't recommend him as much anymore.

I've used/installed a DPC, a Precison, a RevMax, a DunRite and a Hughes

Goerend makes a very intelligently designed converter for pretty much any stock/towing/mildly rowdy application, the one I used & the ones I installed were great.

As far as TCS Canada - outstanding fluid coupling, won't use anything else in my trucks, I like when I call a place & figure out together what I need/serves me well. Their non lockup converters almost drop like a good lockup converter.

Goerend & TCS Canada make their converters in house, a definite plus for me.

TCS Canada also makes their stators in house, and I'm fairly certain Goerend does as well.

I like the Goerend flex plates & trans pans as well...real attention to detail & superior fit/finish.

Last edited:
Sure, along with Chinese Sonnax parts & Chinese Cummins gaskets & Mexican made trucks.

I mention Canada in my post & you instantly realize we're bigger, we're on top, that makes you our biatch :lolly:

And probably frozen dam near 7 months of year, wonder y'all. Can get anything done.

Back