53 block question - a little more in depth

DieselDiva

Pure Diesel Power
53 blocks can be stamped in 2 places. Has anyone done any research as to stamp placement vs. block quality?

We currently have two 53 blocks sitting in our shop. One is obviously cracked, and is stamped on the passenger side of the engine. The other is not cracked, has 305K miles on it, and is stamped on the drivers side.

If you have or know of a 53 block that has cracked - where was the stamp? I'm wondering if they really are all bad or if the stamp placement possibly differentiates them.
Thanks in advance.

My cracked block was stamped on the drivers side. Thanks Steve B.

Mine cracked, the 53 was cast on the driver's side of the block.
I did some research on this, and suposedly if the thin part of the block is less than .243" the block will eventually crack, and If it is thicker than that there probably won't be any issues. This measurement is taken through the freeze plug holes on the pass. side of the block with a micrometer.

I think that the 53 blocks with the cast on the block were casted in brazil and mexico not sure about the passenger side casting. pretty interesting that knowones seen a passenger side casting block crack yet.

00' model 298k , cast on passenger side for sure, looked real hard but couldn't see drivers side but no crack yet.

Back