53 block

InlineCummins24

git it ragggg
ok well am get a new used truck becaues i sold my old one to my dad and i want to know how to see if it is a 53 block so tell me how to find out and PICS
this one is a 3500 2001 5 speed with 120k for 11000

If you look just above the oil pan skirt on the drivers side front behind the vac pump you will see a number stamped in raised letters it should be 53,54,55 or nothing at all. The letters are about 1 1/4 tall or so.

IKE

InlineCummins24 said:
ok well am get a new used truck becaues i sold my old one to my dad and i want to know how to see if it is a 53 block so tell me how to find out and PICS
this one is a 3500 2001 5 speed with 120k for 11000

crawl under the front driver side, look up towards the steering box and there will be a flat spot on the block that will have a "53". Some times it will be on the passenger side.
PicOf53Small.jpg

Last edited:
IKNOWEVERYTHING said:
Yes the 53 is the only block with cracking issues know to date.

IKE

I read on a thread on here somewhere that a 55 block cracked. I'll try and find it.

Yeah its not just the 53 block that cracks it just happens to be a little more prone to cracking but I know of a couple cracked 55's and 54's. The only one's I've heard people say they've never seen crack and the International cast blocks but I don't know what years they are

I read somewhere that if you warm the engine up slow and use your block heater in the winter you lessen the chance of a crack. My truck has a 53 block and it is fine at 142,000.

Yeah you have to get them pretty hot to crack but for some reason when I'm next to a ford or chevy EGTs are only the second thing on my mind :hehe: But really I wouldnt be too worried about cracking a block just as long as you check for signs of excessive heat to the block

There might be other blocks that do crack. but the 53 blocks crack in the same spot for the most part if im not mistaken. and i think if the other blocks did crack it wouldn't be in the same spot. the 53 was just a structually bad cast to my knowledge. someone correct me if im wrong. but i have never heard of big bad cracking problems in anything but the 53.

Back