53 block

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
I have the 53 block and it has 150,XXX on it and with the way my luck is it is going to crack. So my question is: Is there a way to prevent it from cracking (and no I'm not gonna take my BOMBs off)? Is there a brace or something I can weld to the key areas that crack?

I think the problems usually happen when you tow heavy. I don't think you can brace it, but you can fix it.

Actually you can buy a brace. Lock-N-Stitch makes a brace that goes inside one of the freeze plugs then goes down and bolts to the block stregthning it. They also make kits to fix the crack. I have heard some people have had very good luck using there kits, but others have not. I think if it is properly done before the crack gets to bad, it should work pretty good along with the brace.

I have a 53 also. I have a 145K on it so far and no signs of cracking. I have thought about getting the brace myself.

Here is a link:http://www.locknstitch.com/cummins_5_9_block.htm

Dont be askeered Dave... Run the piss out of it

Oh i am, but it never hurts to beef it up some how. I can't afford a cracked block right now, I just spent lots-o-dough at jeffs AGAIN. Stupid transfer case...................

Dave their is nothing thats causes the crack except luck or bad luck towing or horsepower has no effect.We have a customer 649 h.p fuel only and has sprayed it no issues

Back