53 Blocks - In depth question

DieselDiva

Pure Diesel Power
53 blocks can be stamped in 2 places. Has anyone done any research as to stamp placement vs. block quality?

We currently have two 53 blocks sitting in our shop. One is obviously cracked, and is stamped on the passenger side of the engine. The other is not cracked, has 305K miles on it, and is stamped on the drivers side.

If you have or know of a 53 block that has cracked - where was the stamp? I'm wondering if they really are all bad or if the stamp placement possibly differentiates them.
Thanks in advance.

Interesting observation...

It very well could be a factor, since the casting molds are different...

Or better yet, is there a difference in a 53 block that was originally 12 valve, and a 53 that was 24 valve? I've read over several forums, and it seems that a 53 block 12 valve has very little to worry about, no one has come up with one cracked. 53 block 24 valve means run as fast as you can from it it seems. Are the blocks in question from a 12 and a 24, or both 24?

I've never heard of a cracked 12v 53 block.

Could be due to the low numbers of 12v 53 blocks...

I'm more interested in Diva's question/observation.

My 53 block shows no sign of cracking. 244K miles.

First 170K pulled a 4 horse trailer every mile.

Last 50K has been modded. 53 cast on the driver's side.

I haver herad (I forget who told me) If you have 53 on the pass side it is pretty much a promise it will crack and a toss up on the drivers side

That would be my guess why people say that the 12v's won't crack, since there are so few of them.

FWIW, there was a guy on DTR who picked up two cracked 12v 53 block engines.

I know this has been answered before but where are all the possible spots the 53 can be on the block again?

Or better yet, is there a difference in a 53 block that was originally 12 valve, and a 53 that was 24 valve? I've read over several forums, and it seems that a 53 block 12 valve has very little to worry about, no one has come up with one cracked. 53 block 24 valve means run as fast as you can from it it seems. Are the blocks in question from a 12 and a 24, or both 24?

You are correct Kyle, the cracked one is out of a 99 and the good one is out of a 98 12 valve. I wish I had the trucks they came out of here. I'm interested in the build dates of each.

You are correct Kyle, the cracked one is out of a 99 and the good one is out of a 98 12 valve. I wish I had the trucks they came out of here. I'm interested in the build dates of each.

The info tag on the timming cover has the build date of the motor

I was posting that to see if there is any correlation between 12v and 24v blocks.

Wasn't sure if you had a 12v 53 block, thought I might throw that one out there and see if indeed there's a large difference. Add a little to the think pot.

For those that have seen the 12v cracked blocks, what side are they stamped on? And do any of these blocks indeed crack from the heat cycles of the motor being run-shutdown-run etc? Or is something else coming into play? Will definately keep tabs on the this thread, very interested to see if there's a definate answer.

The tag on the timing cover would be more meaningful. There is probably a date code of some sort on the block.

Bringing this one back. Le Rae, is the 12valve 53 installed in a truck or have you guys driven it before being pulled out?

I'm trying to figure out the difference between my 95, old 97, and 53 block 12v. My old bosses 53 block 24 valve cracked on him, but I remember that truck running very consistent coolant temps in comparison to my 12 valves.

Do the coolant passages have a large effect on the consistency of the coolant temp between a 12 and 24? Also, if the 53 blocks tend to crack due to heat cycles, wouldn't it make sense that a motor that is always fluctuating coolant temps would crack first, or is the fact that the heat stays in it longer that weakens the block structure? Trying to figure this all out.

They don't break because of heat cycles they break because of the thinkness of the block just below the freeze plugs.

There is a minimum thickness of 8mm. Any thinner and they crack.

Both 12 ans 24v block the 53 will be rasied letters just above the oil pan on both sides of the block roughly three inches from the front face of the block. They will be 1" in height.

And one last thing, this may be way off base, but does the injection angle difference between a 12 and 24 valve seem to make a difference in the cracking of the block. According most everyone I've talked to, they crack on the right side. The larger forces in a 12 valve combustion event sweep from passenger side to driver side by design, right to left. Where as a 24 valve is dead center with equal pressure dispersed throughout the cylinder. Harmonics? More to think about.

Back