5k gsk install now problems

kmkdiesel

installed a 5k gsk on my 12v and it idled at 3000 rpms so backed the idle down all the way, now it idles at 2000 rpms and i have to give it throttle to start, and it free revs to about 4600 rpms also. Any ideas on what to do, loosen or tighten the nut more.

ok thanks, i'll try that in the morning and see if that helps I am not quite sure how far in i am i cds instructions says 6 clicks but i really couldnt tell how many clicks I was in,

take the shims they say to leave in behind the idle spring and throw them away. Put about 1 soft click and 2 hard clicks. Should be good to go.

take the shims they say to leave in behind the idle spring and throw them away. Put about 1 soft click and 2 hard clicks. Should be good to go.

there is 3 shims in there and the instructions say put 2 of them back in so pull the other 2 shims out also. Or should I just try backing off the nuts a little first and see what that does.

there is 3 shims in there and the instructions say put 2 of them back in so pull the other 2 shims out also. Or should I just try backing off the nuts a little first and see what that does.

If you followed CDS's instructions on the install then yes, just back some tension off and see what you get. Should solve your problems unless there is something odd with the governor or it was setup to use another gsk by a shop etc.

They all set up diff. it seems to depend on the pump. More shim under the idle spring really seems to help keep the drastic drop in rpm when dropped in gear on an auto. .020-.040" under the idle spring with your initial plus 5 should get you in the ballpark. Just expect to have to give it a little pedal to crank, adj. idle as ness. Ryan

Mine idled the best in both Neutral and in gear with .100 of shims under each set of springs and 1 soft and 3 hard clicks, only thing thats driving me nuts is when the converter locks in third it loads the engine more and I get a bunch of govenor bouce and it bucks alot on bumpy roads.

Thier tempremental little suckers for sure, it seems to me that maybe thier inner spring is a tick short. It takes lifting the idle spring in lots of cases to get them to work which in turn makes you have to put more clicks in it to get down on the inner spring enough to get the needed rpm. Im thinking seriously of giving the Scheids another try some day.......they really ran well and without all the other issues

I had the same problem, took about 3 clicks out and now they are fine...just a little fine tuning with the idle

I got it to idle right and I was free reving it and now it won't start and run right it just died on me. I got to give it alittle throttle to start and it will run at like 100 rpms and you give it any more throttle it dies or back off it it dies. its puffing out black smoke also like its getting choked out with fuel so I put a stock plate in and backed off the starwheel still same problem I tried adjusting the nuts more still same thing. I swapped out the fuel shut off solinoid and same thing. any ideas on what happened or more to try on it thanks.

Back