5r110 help

rjustman

Well just took my truck for her maiden voyage..it's a 2006 f250 with a commonrail motor and 5r110..as for sensors I have the crank and cam using the destroked tach box for engine rpm, I have a pedal assembly from miller performance diesel that piggy backs the cummins and 6.0 pedal, map sensor, and vss..all the sensors are plugged in on the transmission of course..the truck will go directly into limp and the tow haul light flashes as soon as truck tries to leave first..I'll have reverse and 5th..a few times the truck seemed to be searching for a gear after first but then slams into gear and then limps..I haven't gotten the tunes from my tuner yet and this is all with factory Ford pcm controlling it all..I might add that I have ZERO transmission dtc codes..the only codes I have are for egr,fuel injection,oil temp, backpressure,iat temp,and a few others but it's all stuff that's no longer being used..the sensors have been deleted from the harness..I had one code the first outing and it was an output speed sensor code, the plug had came off fixed that and haven't seen that code since..I don't know where to start since I don't have any codes to guide me..

Also it don't matter if I put truck in manual and drop it into 1st and manually shift it it will limp, sometimes without trying to shift out of first..

Thanks

Richard

Me too, when it started shifting funny I was like sum btch here we go..but I was actually quite suprised it needs a tiny amount of tuning..mainly lockup and when it comes in but other than that, I'd rather do a commonrail swap over a 12v swap any day of the week..and the 5r is a great trans behind the cummins

Got mine from gear head..using the sct..I went through miller performance diesel for their pedal conversion ND tuning it was a package type deal..paid good money for it but it was a bolt in deal pretty much and so far has worked great..I'll tune it a bit myself..line pressures and what not, and shift points..but the base file they sent has worked very very well so far..

Awesome, are you getting your tune from innovative?

Got mine from gear head..using the sct..I went through miller performance diesel for their pedal conversion ND tuning it was a package type deal..paid good money for it but it was a bolt in deal pretty much and so far has worked great..I'll tune it a bit myself..line pressures and what not, and shift points..but the base file they sent has worked very very well so far..

Nice, I'm waiting on my driveshaft (2 week just to shorten it) :bang
I already have the pedal sorted with the bracket from destroked. I molded the Dodge pedal like miller performance did in there conversion thread. Can't wait to see your video.

did you retain your factory adjustable pedals with detroked kit? only shift im not happy with is the 2-3 shift, it just kinda "hits" im slowly working down the line pressure on that shift to tune it out, and it seems to be getting better but every other shift is really nice..i also adjusted all of my shift points out farther.. shifts 1-3 I went out another 2mph, and the 3-5 and 5-6 shifts out an additional 5 mph..

did you retain your factory adjustable pedals with detroked kit? only shift im not happy with is the 2-3 shift, it just kinda "hits" im slowly working down the line pressure on that shift to tune it out, and it seems to be getting better but every other shift is really nice..i also adjusted all of my shift points out farther.. shifts 1-3 I went out another 2mph, and the 3-5 and 5-6 shifts out an additional 5 mph..

Yes I retained the adjustable pedals with the destroked bracket. Your transmission takes about 50 miles of street driving to optimize new settings when programmed, so you can't really tell immediately if a change in setting worked until the relearn happens. You want the higher line pressure to stop any clutch slippage between shifts. You might need that modified solenoid that has the larger fluid ports, it eliminates the flares from 2 to 3. Check it out.

Direct solenoid is for the 3-5 shift..mines a 2-3 shift..I don't have any flares just a hard hit..I can feel it when it down shifts too..

Okay my mistake, it's been awhile since I read up on the 5r. I've been mostly focused on wiring and fabrication along with the warp tuning. Are you making those line pressure changes with a sct x4 by yourself . Just curious

Yeah making pressure changes and changing shift points between gears..only bad I've noticed is on the 2-3 shift since it's a dual shift it kinda "clunks" but talking to mark Kowalski and reading some of his stuff that's a normal thing and can't get rid of it..it's " slop" if you will built into the trans..the tolerances would need to be changed to get rid of it..so if you are building your 5r..have you or your builder try to remedy it..it will not hurt anything just more of a nuisance from what I was told..other than that I love the truck..I'll be holding on to it for a very long time I'm sure...soon as time allows I want to turn up the wick and actually use my efi, and install my twins, injectors, and full billet trans

Will do..it keeps shifting better and better everyday..bid headache now is the destroked flex plate won't fit my dpc converter..anyone else had that issue? I have a DPC quad disc converter..it's a 13" converter but talking with Phil he said thethat it should be machined to fit a stock flex plate out of a 6.0 or 6.4 truck..the destroked flex plate will fit a southbend triple disc converter and the factory converters but will not fit this dpc unit..I don't think there's enough to Meat to machine down the destroked unit.and Phil don't really wanna machine on a 1500 dollar torque converter..I will add that all of the ring gears are the exact same size on all the different flex plates ive compared which is expected..any ideas??

Back