5R110 Tranny questions!

pwrstrkconvert

OK so I'm toying with the idea of a Torqushift swap into my cummins. I'm a mechanic and I love the way the ford 6 speeds drive, and they now make all the swap parts to do this (computer, adapter plate, flex plate etc.). My biggest question is how much power do these things take?? My experience with them is limited to driving...there just doesnt seem to be a whole lot of hot rod parts out there for them. If you drive a dodge you need to upgrade EVERYTHING in the 47RH or 48RE to make any power :doh:

So in essence I'm curious how much they'll take and what sort of upgrades are there for them? twins, 190 hose injectors and all sorts of goodies are in my truck's future so I'll need a tranny that will take it.

THanks in advance guys, sorry for the book.

From what i understand that is what the 2008 superdutys have for trans. and their are guys make 6 to 700 hp with stock trans.

thats what I've heard to. my truck is pushing 300ish hp and 750-800ft/lb right now, when Im dont I'm hoping to be pushing 500ish hp and 1000-1200 ft/lb so I just want to know if these trannies will take it, and if not, can anything be dont to make htem take it

Suncoast has everything you will need. Bigrpower posted a thread on hear the other day about rudys 6.4 maken 1006 hp and 1850ft lb. and im pretty sure he has a suncoast 5r110.

2008 stck trans automatic

so i can put my sct livewire on hardshift with no problems on a stock tranny?

2008 F350 FX4 4x4 CC
5" Straight piped
Volant Intake
SCT Livewire on extreme

so i can put my sct livewire on hardshift with no problems on a stock tranny?

2008 F350 FX4 4x4 CC
5" Straight piped
Volant Intake
SCT Livewire on extreme

Pretty much, but i wouldnt constantly romp on the throttle everwhere you go unless you wanna lose your tranny.

The 5R110 is only a 5 Speed. It has an optional 6th gear but the ratio is not worth having. It uses it dependent upon some operating parameters, but its stilla five speed. Mostly people dont stick a 5R110 behind a cummins because they do not hold up well. If you planning on leaving the truck stock, then you can get away with it. If your planning on putting any kind of power to the ground the tranny will not hold. Different torque from an I6 vs a V8.

The 5R110 is only a 5 Speed. It has an optional 6th gear but the ratio is not worth having. It uses it dependent upon some operating parameters, but its stilla five speed. Mostly people dont stick a 5R110 behind a cummins because they do not hold up well. If you planning on leaving the truck stock, then you can get away with it. If your planning on putting any kind of power to the ground the tranny will not hold. Different torque from an I6 vs a V8.

Why wouldn't it hold? Its not because of the torque because the 5R110W is handeling 1100 with Spartan, Innovative, H&S, etc. tuning. The problem would be the tuning offered for a I6 engine.....no one making tuners for a 5.9 does the tranny tuning needed for the 5R to survive. Just like the 48RE won't survive in stock form....no way for any kind of decent tranny tuning.

i have to agree with 08stroker my 5r110 has held up to my 1570lbft or torque and everything that i can throw at it, sled pulling drag racing towing and anything else, i would like to see how a stock 5r110 does against a stock
48re with just tuning

i have to agree with 08stroker my 5r110 has held up to my 1570lbft or torque and everything that i can throw at it, sled pulling drag racing towing and anything else, i would like to see how a stock 5r110 does against a stock
48re with just tuning

Not very well Mike LOL

The 5R110 and the 48RE are different transmissions. In stock form they both work behind an I6. Once you add any amount of power (say +100ish HP) they start to fail. PCS makes a transmission controller for the 5R110 but I don’t know how good it really is. I don’t run one nor do I personally know of anyone that does. The 5R110's are excellent trannys for the PS engines. They hold up very well in stock form. One thing you must realize is the 5R110 is mostly electronic and the 48RE is not. This is why you need upgraded valve bodies, solenoids and the general stuff (TC, CLutches, and Steels etc etc). Overall the 5R110 is a better designed tranny opposed to the 48RE; however they are built for two very different power curves. You can’t really compare the two. Look at all the guys that run CR conversion trucks. They don’t have any with 5R110 that are making substantial HP. ITs all Allison, 4R110's and 48RE's. There are other reasons there too, like the 7.3L trucks have the 4R100 and the 48RE don’t require adaptors or anything to control the tranny. The 4R100 has a PCS controller and it works fine. I am not a tranny guru, nor do I claim to be. I do not know enough about transmissions to pit the 5R110 and the 48RE and get into deep discussions with various explanations as to why one works and why one does not. It could be tuning or it could be the fact that the tranny's were built for two different platforms. The one thing I do know is the power curves for V-8's and I-6 are different and there must be something within the 5R110 that does not jive with what the Cummins put down at higher HP levels.

Back