6.0 bulletproof upgrades

blos101

Life Saver
Ok, I'm not a ford guy but my buddy bought a 2007 6.0 powerstroke and I want to know what the best bulletproof upgrade kits there is available to buy as far as the dpf/egr deletes and tuner we can get for it. He doesn't have a clue how to work on anything but I'm one of those guys that has to help everyone so let me know what to get/install on this thing. Thanks in advance. Brian:thankyou2: keep in mind this isn't for a high HP build just a daily driver.

Last edited:
A good monitoring solution seems to be the consensus on first mods. After that: SCT with custom tunes, Coolant filter, EGR delete..Eventually head studs.. the list goes on and on.

Some places sell a full solution but its cheaper to piece it out. Make sure if he does studs to use oem head gaskets as ive been reading about a lot of failures with black onyx.

I'm by no means a mechanic.. but getting to be a MAJOR forum troll.. lol

Highly recommend an Edge insight for the monitor with egt sensor.

after that like said he can start doing things one at a time if the oil cooler and egr are still in check. things like coolant filter, fuel pressure spring, egr delete etc.

perfect time for first compD post

Tell him to start with a good coolant filter (I run a Sinister), an Edge insight (EGT probe if you plan to tune it), and if he plans to keep the thing for awhile he may as well do an EGR delete. These few simple things will help in the long run, ask me how I know! LOL

Take a look here :6.0L Bible Table of Contents <-- this will be VERY useful to you both. Good luck!

This is not meant to be disrespectful, but why would anyone buy a used 6.0 knowing they are going to have to throw $$ at the engine to keep it running?

ill take a stab at this one. if you buy the right one or do the homework you can get a good deal knowing what needs to be done or can get one without having to throw money at it.

i had an excab f150 and needed a crew cab but in my price range i got more for my money in a 6.0 with space and power at the same miles as a 1/2 ton. my early 04 was a buyback at 36k miles for cracked up pipes and when i got it it was all stock and had 168k. only money i had "throw" at it was about 1k 3 months after i got it for an oil cooler replacement and some other upgrades while at it. after that it ran great. had one injector go but only got studs because i chose to go bigger injectors etc.

if you just want one and go pick one at random without research youll be introuble quick if you bought one with bad HG's and didnt know it etc. the used market on them though is good and if you can fix them yourself or know what itll cost you can pick up a truck someone wants to offload quick for cheap.

This is not meant to be disrespectful, but why would anyone buy a used 6.0 knowing they are going to have to throw $$ at the engine to keep it running?

Because they are dirt cheap. Everyone is scared of their issues from what they read online. If you have mechanic skills then why not? Honestly I got a great deal on mine and love the upgraded interior over both my 3rd gen dodges.

The worst part about a 6.0l is the mechanic working on them. Zero trouble out of my 6.0l. 277k and I drive the piss out of it.

I bought my '03 for $6k. Haven't had any issues other than the driveshaft committing suicide.

They aren't cheap in my area, last time I looked on autotrader 06/07 4wd 250's with under 100k was around the 24k range. And to me, thats why to high if the motor is stock. I will say the interior of the Fords is alot nicer than dodge.

Looks like I'll be sending mine to TN and buying another!! You can pick them up for around 12-15k fully loaded and really nice around here. If you can do the work yourself you can't drive a nicer truck for less.

for some reason all diesels in this area get top dollar. better have deep pockets if you are looking for a megacab. Most I've seen with well over 125k miles bring 28k or more.

Fully loaded lariat 04 crew cab fx4 in Texas for 12k with 141k on the ticker. Wish me luck, lol

I'm doing an egr delete, tuner, and replacing the oil cooler. The truck is an 07 F-250 Lariat with 170,000 on it. I'll clean the turbo while its off in the process. I don't think he will have to worry about anything after that is done. $900 bucks with me doing it.

Only have done an oil cooler on mine.

Just egr delete it, coolant filter, gauge to read engine sensors and have fun.

I have a Sinister on mine. Never had an issue with it. I know there are some others out there that are great as well!

Edit: I also run a Sinister coolant filter. Love them both, easy installs on both.

Last edited:
running a performance machine manf (PMM) one on mine with no issues. not sure if id recommend buying one from them now though

Sinister Full Delete is what most of us has. Which has the redirect tube and the new up pipe. The budget one should be ok, you just have to cap the up pipe.

Back