6.0 help!!

kypowerstroke

Hey guys i have been a member of the psn for a long time now but i need more answers they cant help me with. OK here gose, I just had my motor rebuilt top to bottom it was bored .20 over, forged rods and pistons milled the cam for more lift, new valves the heads were decked .20,000 all new Orings every thing, put it back in and the truck starts runs rough and has no power. It blows white smoke steady and it sounds like either it has a lifter chattering or a fuel knock. I am asking if i need to have the ecm flashed for the new bore size or cam lift and if you guys think it could be something else besides a busted oring or lifter? Could it be with the head decked that the valves are hitting the piston or what, I have had the motor out and back to him twice to double check timing and he says its good, I just need a nother idea or two

:thankyou2:

Hey guys i have been a member of the psn for a long time now but i need more answers they cant help me with. OK here gose, I just had my motor rebuilt top to bottom it was bored .20 over, forged rods and pistons milled the cam for more lift, new valves the heads were decked .20,000 all new Orings every thing, put it back in and the truck starts runs rough and has no power. It blows white smoke steady and it sounds like either it has a lifter chattering or a fuel knock. I am asking if i need to have the ecm flashed for the new bore size or cam lift and if you guys think it could be something else besides a busted oring or lifter? Could it be with the head decked that the valves are hitting the piston or what, I have had the motor out and back to him twice to double check timing and he says its good, I just need a nother idea or two

:thankyou2:

I will think this over a bit, but i can help notice that your username keeps reminding of the KY lube, thats one slippery powerstroke! :stab: :shake:

Rocker bridge came off,injector washer did not seal and burnt the o-rings....first things that I thought of.

Did the truck throw a check engine light? If not, you need to find out whether or not the white smoke is steam or raw fuel. If it's fuel, it's probably an injector washer. If it's steam, well................you know the rest.

Last edited:
OK thanks for your help guys i guess the 3rd time is the charme i changed the orings and washers, it runns better but still isnt right, and it is throwing 2 egr codes and #3 injector was dead i have checked all the harness, idk where to go next. no codes i am thinkinn the michine shop has it out of time, but could the larger cylenders make a diff beining it may need bigger injectors? I plan on new injectors in the spring I just have to wait until the funds go back up unles it is what i need to get it runnin

AE scanning software?

If so, if anything is "Out of Sync", the software would/should pick that up.

Are you saying #3 cylinder IS dead, or WAS dead, and is good now?

Any contribution faults at all? If you have any, you gotta pull THAT injector...change the location of it with another injector, and see if the problem stays with the cylinder, or the injector itself.

Boring it out 0.020" is nothing to cause any issues...BUT...shaving 0.020" off the heads is. You do realize that the pistons stick out of the block between ~0.030" and 0.035" right?
How much did the shop remove from the piston tops? Any idea of what your C.R is now? (Lower compression will cause smoke on start up...)

Not funny how the shop says "It's all good", when it's NOT all good...

oh....and the EGR codes...do you have a delete kit in it? If so, get a SCT tuner, and get it turned off.

I am running a 0.020" over bore with stock injectors, lowered compression, etc right now, and there are no issues of any kind...

What is your fuel pressure?
What is your oil pressure at idle when cold/warm?
What is your HPOP pressure at idle?
Have you changed fuel filters?
Stock fuel pump/filters?

White smoke is usually "Water" related....(Back to the EGR codes...)

Blue smoke is oil...

:bangok I have changed the location of the injectors and that fixed some of the Problems. But it still has a hard knock. I was talkin to a Ford tech and he said that if they
(the michine shop) really took 20,000 off the head i may have a valves hitting the piston. He said my heads are more than likly goning to have to be replaced.

Also i have a EGR delete and i know the codes are just there i havent gotten a sct to remove them yet, I let my other one go with my last truck

The machine shop should know what head gasket to use after taking .020 off the cylinder heads.

.020 off heads is a definite NO!!! These engines have very little valve to piston clearance - If you need to take more than .005 off head, you need a new head!.
Timing cam and crank can't be screwed up if you use the factory tool, [ I don't know how you could do it without ] The VALVE recession - the distance the valve head is below the face of the cyl. head, is CRITICAL to making sure the valves don't hit the pistons. The pistons DO stick up out of the block. IF your machine shop doesn't know these things OR check them when assembling, YOU need another machine shop!!!

like i said before i had a shop build the motor and i just stuck it in the truck but i have replaced the heads, that made a big difference and i did find a injector Oring blown for the 3rd time i have the truck running and doing good i just need some tuning to get some of the bugs worked out

Back