6.0 I/C vs. Water/Meth Kit

DuraDan

Diesel Monkey
Well, I got my injectors in, and I need a new HPOP, and then after that Im lookin at lowering my intake temp, we looked at the scan tool and it was in the like mid 400+'s degree's range... Im goin to see what people think on the idea of either puttin a 6.0 I/C in, or gettin a water/meth kid...

Rumor has it that the I/C will be better for everyday use and low egt's, but no hp gains... But the water/meth kit will be good for both and easier to install, and hopefully better hp gains?

Anyone got any first hand experience they can share or suggestions?

was the 400s at idle........and considering we have different turbos and such, i did the 6.0 IC upgrade and my egts went up on daily driving, they only drop at highway speeds on my set up. vs my stock IC ran cooler intown and on the highway, i just havent had time to put it back in..
i found mine on CL for 100 bucks.... and if i were you, check out the AEM water/meth kits ! (probably my next purchase also)

my idle egt with IC is 300 deg. on mild tunes
my hot tune runs idle egts 350 deg.

egt at WOT on hot tunes are 1150 deg on a 0 to 90 mph burst.
I only see 1200 + pling my 5th wheel on long 5% grade if i do not have momentum heading into the hill.

Last edited:
I have used the Snow perf water meth, straight water, and 50/50 mix. It lowers about 250*, but for daily, I would do a good intercooler first.

ive got eyes on a pretty new 6.0 IC from a guy in our club, 150.00 plus shipping out of tucson AZ.

so going with a new HPOP to support my injectors is pretty much a no brainer before thinking of gettin lower egt's?

so going with a new HPOP to support my injectors is pretty much a no brainer before thinking of gettin lower egt's?

.......not really, lower egts is going to save your turbo and cooler air makes power, a new hpop will probably bring more heat with out an IC, i would think of this order.

IC
hpop
turbo
water/meth

.......not really, lower egts is going to save your turbo and cooler air makes power, a new hpop will probably bring more heat with out an IC, i would think of this order.

IC
hpop
turbo
water/meth

i was thinking...

hpop
water/meth
turbo or tranny (whichever blows first)

do you have an egt gauge ??
if you race alot, and your egts arent bad daily driving, then i would go that route, some guys i know with the new AEM kit really like the controls vs. the snow kit.

terminator has a tweaked out single 17deg. hpop
the adrenaline is getting great feed back and the overdrive is also getting great feed back aswell ( but i have yet to see long term reliability info on the overdrive)

do you have an egt gauge ??
if you race alot, and your egts arent bad daily driving, then i would go that route, some guys i know with the new AEM kit really like the controls vs. the snow kit.

terminator has a tweaked out single 17deg. hpop
the adrenaline is getting great feed back and the overdrive is also getting great feed back aswell ( but i have yet to see long term reliability info on the overdrive)

I got a pillar with boost, egt, and tranny...

And im thinkin of the adrenaline... got to do more research

how are your egts at the end of the track, what do they look like intown ??
im curious, u dont have an IC at all do you? im not sure what years did or didnt untill 99-03

No I/C in the obs... and I would say my egt's run at like 700 when cruising at 70 mph... and idk bout down the track since the new injectors, wasnt really concentrating on my egt's at the first race...

No I/C in the obs... and I would say my egt's run at like 700 when cruising at 70 mph... and idk bout down the track since the new injectors, wasnt really concentrating on my egt's at the first race...

well thats not bad for daily driving, sounds like adrenaline and water/meth would be your ticket. i would be curious what you dyno with the new pump and boost juice !!

well thats not bad for daily driving, sounds like adrenaline and water/meth would be your ticket. i would be curious what you dyno with the new pump and boost juice !!

We will see.. I will definitely post it on here, I have dyno'ed after every mod I have done so far (for major mod's)... so I plan on dyno'in after new hpop and again with water/meth... and so on

dude, you need a turbo to match them sticks !!
was the 287 hp with the new injectors ??

that adrenaline and custom tunning with a 38R !!! along with 50/50 meth should net a nice number on the roller.

dude, you need a turbo to match them sticks !!
was the 287 hp with the new injectors ??

that adrenaline and custom tunning with a 38R !!! along with 50/50 meth should net a nice number on the roller.

it will do a nice number on my stock tranny too! haha

And the 287 was on my new sticks, but it is so low cause they aren't gettin enough oil with my tunes...

So the truck should be runnin great in a few months once we get the time to get everything done...

im guessing stock turbo too ??
need oil and boost buddy, but will be a hot rod for sure once you get it done.

ya... here is my dream!...

-adrenaline hpop
-water/meth kit
-H2E turbo
-Bulletproof tranny

then i would be in low 14's probably

From our engineering department:

First of all, consider what the purpose of an intercooler is and why you might upgrade the stock unit. An intercooler (or charge air cooler, CAC) is a density machine. Its job is to increase the density of the intake air charge by cooling it, but it must do so without dramatically impacting the pressure of the intake air charge. Air density measurements take both the temperature and the pressure of the air into account. Specifically, to determine if an intercooler is doing a good job, you must compare the ambient air conditions (temperature and pressure) with the conditions in the intake manifold.

How to evaluate/measure your intercooler:
CAC Delta T Hot- the amount of temperature drop through the intercooler
CAC Delta Hot=Inlet temp-Outlet temp

System Delta P- The amount of pressure drop from the compressor out to the intake manifold
Syetem Delta P= Compressor Outlet pressure-Intake Manifold pressure

CAC Effectiveness- The ability of the CAC to reduce temperature as compared to abient, expressed as a percentage
CAC EFFECTIVENESS = (CAC INLET TEMP – CAC OUTLET TEMP) / (CAC INLET TEMP – AMBIENT TEMP)*100

Density Recovery- Evaluation of the density of the air compared to ambient considering both temperature and pressure
DENSITY RECOVERY = (AMBIENT PRESS + INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESS) / (AMBIENT PRESS + COMPRESSOR OUTLET PRESS) * (CAC INLET TEMP / CAC OUTLET TEMP)

From our engineering department:

First of all, consider what the purpose of an intercooler is and why you might upgrade the stock unit. An intercooler (or charge air cooler, CAC) is a density machine. Its job is to increase the density of the intake air charge by cooling it, but it must do so without dramatically impacting the pressure of the intake air charge. Air density measurements take both the temperature and the pressure of the air into account. Specifically, to determine if an intercooler is doing a good job, you must compare the ambient air conditions (temperature and pressure) with the conditions in the intake manifold.

How to evaluate/measure your intercooler:
CAC Delta T Hot- the amount of temperature drop through the intercooler
CAC Delta Hot=Inlet temp-Outlet temp

System Delta P- The amount of pressure drop from the compressor out to the intake manifold
Syetem Delta P= Compressor Outlet pressure-Intake Manifold pressure

CAC Effectiveness- The ability of the CAC to reduce temperature as compared to abient, expressed as a percentage
CAC EFFECTIVENESS = (CAC INLET TEMP – CAC OUTLET TEMP) / (CAC INLET TEMP – AMBIENT TEMP)*100

Density Recovery- Evaluation of the density of the air compared to ambient considering both temperature and pressure
DENSITY RECOVERY = (AMBIENT PRESS + INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESS) / (AMBIENT PRESS + COMPRESSOR OUTLET PRESS) * (CAC INLET TEMP / CAC OUTLET TEMP)

for being a dealer or employee of banks you should know that I dont have an I/C in my OBS truck. (posted that earlier in my thread)

Back