6.0 issues

mdub707

DamnKids Motorsports
I've been having issues with my truck for months now. The dealer is of no help. This last visit they had it for almost three weeks and all they did was clean the EGR valve... and they still charged me the $100 deductible!:bang

When I first take off in the morning, truck will stutter in OD if I lay into it a little bit. If I step on it hard and it downshifts, it doesn't do it. Once warmed up fully, it doesn't do it either.

On top of this, with any of my tunes loaded on, the truck will shift erratically. I have the rev limit set at 4150rpms. Taking off from a stop, truck will shift anywhere from 3300rpms to 3700rpms. Never consistent.

Truck also pukes coolant with tunes loaded.

Put it back to stock, no problems what so ever. I am only running an SCT with Erics tunes, ARP studs and a muffler delete.

Studs were put in about 3kmiles ago. Also had a reman transmission put in about 2kmiles ago (roughly). Tranny fluid smells burnt, but looks perfectly clean.

I data logged EOT vs ECT. At idle, temps are normal. Driving, my EOT drops like a rock, which obviously isn't really happening. EOT will drop to 120 or so and continue dropping until I shut the truck off. Last time I data logged, EOT started at 460 degrees F! Yeah right... then dropped to 95 or something ridiculous. I'm going to get the EOT sensor since its only $30 and try replacing that first. I've been told it can tell the ECM the motor is cold and cut fuel and timing.

Any other suggestions? Anything I can datalog? Anything? I'm getting REALLY frustrated with this truck.

This all was a very gradual problem that came about after the tranny install/headstud job. Gradually came about...

I have just got my truck put back together. i was having almost identical problems with mine. my turbo was hung up on the big side and i had a blown head gasket with 2 sticking injectors. my truck runs great now. im also tired of driving rental cars.*bdh*

I have just got my truck put back together. i was having almost identical problems with mine. my turbo was hung up on the big side and i had a blown head gasket with 2 sticking injectors. my truck runs great now. im also tired of driving rental cars.*bdh*

My turbo seems to be boosting normal, so I dont think that's an issue. Headgaskets.... maybe, but seems odd that I'd have these symptoms cause of that. Injectors, now they have crossed my mind, but I didn't pick up any irregularities when I data logged and had the truck "missing".

I didn't even get a loaner car this last time, I was stuck driving the gf's escape around... I had a sad face on every time I hit the go pedal in it and no smoke came out...

ok first thing the tranny fluid if it looks good than it is good. the fluid that goes in it is called mercon sp and it smells burnt from the beginning, so i would definitly probably replace that oil temp sensor cause its def. not working right. I think your heading in the right direction, if you got any questions about it let me know cause i work at a ford dealer and 6.0l are all i work on all day everyday!!

ok first thing the tranny fluid if it looks good than it is good. the fluid that goes in it is called mercon sp and it smells burnt from the beginning, so i would definitly probably replace that oil temp sensor cause its def. not working right. I think your heading in the right direction, if you got any questions about it let me know cause i work at a ford dealer and 6.0l are all i work on all day everyday!!

I knew they used Mercon, but honestly never knew that it smelled that way. I had one torque converter explode on me already, so this is a reman tranny and I wasn't sure how much to trust it. I've also read that the tranny cooler should be replaced when a new tranny goes in, and this one was not, but I assume it was flushed!?

Replaced the oil temp sensor earlier today. I wont know if the injectors cut out again until morning though, once the motor has fully cooled off.

It still is shifting erratically though at whatever RPMs it feels like.

I knew they used Mercon, but honestly never knew that it smelled that way. I had one torque converter explode on me already, so this is a reman tranny and I wasn't sure how much to trust it. I've also read that the tranny cooler should be replaced when a new tranny goes in, and this one was not, but I assume it was flushed!?

Replaced the oil temp sensor earlier today. I wont know if the injectors cut out again until morning though, once the motor has fully cooled off.

It still is shifting erratically though at whatever RPMs it feels like.

i would assume that they at least flused the trans cooler and i always put a inline filter in when i relace a trans. Do you have any trans codes stored in the pcm??

i would assume that they at least flused the trans cooler and i always put a inline filter in when i relace a trans. Do you have any trans codes stored in the pcm??

Nothing that the SCT can read!? The last two times I've brought it into the dealer they've "accessed" the TCM, ECM, PCM and found no codes... which is clearly why they have no clue what to fix, if the computer isn't telling them to "fix this" then they dont...

i was thinking, have they every reprogrammed your truck to fords latest calibration? If you have programs uploaded and they do fords program it will wipe yours completely out, i was reading some tsb here at work and there was one about a harsh type shift and just various type conditions. so it could be a program issure for your erratic shift.

i was thinking, have they every reprogrammed your truck to fords latest calibration? If you have programs uploaded and they do fords program it will wipe yours completely out, i was reading some tsb here at work and there was one about a harsh type shift and just various type conditions. so it could be a program issure for your erratic shift.

Nope my problems came about gradually. When I first brought the truck in for these issues, they did reflash it to some new "coolant flash", and Eric said its not even the newest one they have coming out or out already. I had all new tunes wrote for this flash, and still the same issues.

UPDATE:

Replaced oil temp sensor/sender with no change in the problems. However now it seems a little "different" when I drive it. It runs exactly the same as before, until I let off the throttle, as SOON as I let off the throttle the RPM's drop below 1000 and it sounds like the motor shut right off, and all you can hear is turbo whistle. This is in overdrive. It seems before it wouldn't drop RPM's like a rock and it wouldn't go as quiet... am I just being paranoid? If I get back on the throttle it comes right back up instantly.

ok when you let off the throttle and the rpms drop like they do that is normal, the engine is very quiet and you dont hear anything until the engine speed gets back to about 700 rpms and then the injectors start back, but that is normal.

Your truck is stumping me big time usually i dont have any problems diagnosing the 6.0l but im a little confused. So have you datalogged since you put the new sensors on there?

ok when you let off the throttle and the rpms drop like they do that is normal, the engine is very quiet and you dont hear anything until the engine speed gets back to about 700 rpms and then the injectors start back, but that is normal.

Your truck is stumping me big time usually i dont have any problems diagnosing the 6.0l but im a little confused. So have you datalogged since you put the new sensors on there?

700rpms?

yeah 700 that is usually about where 6.0l should idle, i mean mine idle's about 689 most of the time.

My idle is set at 650 on my truck via the SCT (which I assume is stock anyways).

It doesn't sound or feel like it's doing anything "wrong" but it definitely sounds different. I noticed this immediately after changing that oil temp sensor. It's not driving better or worse.

The cutting out when first driving is bothering me, and the issue where it wont go to the rev limit bothers me. Anyone else with an SCT NOT run to rev limit under WOT?

I would think with it cutting out as bad as it does when I first drive, that it would throw a code of some sort. I'm at the point now where I feel more confident in myself diagnosing this than any of the local dealers. Sad isn't it?

Back