6.0 overboost help

ward.racing

black smoke addict
im definatly not a ford guy and need some help on this. I have a 05 6.0 that is building too much boost and is sluggish. Taking off and barely on the throttle it will hit 25lbs. I checked the EBPV and cleaned the tube, then thought it could possible be the vanes sticking. Removed the turbo, which was pretty dirty, cleaned it and it still does it. Could it be the VGT Actuator? Before i spent the 350 on it was going to get a second opinion.

thanks

mark

If the inside of the charger is for sure good. p
late and vanes slide very smoothly? then I would say actuator.

Certainly sounds like it could be the VGT. Know anyone with a 6.0 to try swapping VGT solenoids with? Are you getting a bunch of smoke out the exhaust? Is it hitting 25psi max? Or will it go higher if you lay into it more?

Know anyone with AE? You can usually cycle the turbo vanes sitting in idle with the software, that would at least let you know if everything is moving smoothly as it should be. Was there any pitting on the unison ring when you cleaned it?

Here's a good link describing it's function, sometimes having a clear view of how everything is supposed to be working helps think it through more. http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/subsites/diag/6lvgtguide.pdf

It also explains how to test the VGT if you have the software to do so.

Last edited:
Back