6.0 plowing

Kman9090

You guys that plow with 6.0's, do you have any problems over heating when driving down the highway? City driving its fine but on the highway it over heats bad. I put the plow as close as I can to the ground and still have bad results. Truck is a F550 dump truck with 4.88 gears. I'm guessing the weight, with plow blocking cool air, and running so high RPM is the problem. Just wondering if theres anything short of unhooking the plow or taking back roads to solve this problem.

I don't know much about the 6.0L, but I remember reading some stuff about it on a plow site...

03-05 F-Series Overheating with Snow Plow Installed:
If a snow plow is installed on a truck with the 6.0, it may disrupt the air flow through the front of the truck causing the cooling fan to stop or turn in reverse. For trucks with snow plows there is a revised fan clutch available (P/N 4C3Z-8A616-SA). Some trucks have been modified with a jumper on the fan connector to keep the fan continuously engaged. This jumper must be removed before connecting the new fan. Broadcast Message 1137.
2005 trucks with snow plow package already have this fan installed at the factory. Trucks without snow plow package that have a plow installed will need the above fan.
TSB 054-4

Recall 05B27--2005 TorqShift Transmissions, Trucks with Snow Plow Package:
On trucks built prior to 1-12-05, the snap ring on the low/reverse planetary may become dislodged due to the frequent forward/reverse shifting common when plowing snow. If this occurs, damage to the low/reverse planetary or transmission case may occur. Ford will disassemble the transmission, inspect for damage, and replace the snap ring with a revised part, if no other damage is found. This recall has been extended to 9-30-06, regardless of mileage.

Temperature Gauge Reads Hot, 05 F-Series:
Some trucks built before 12-10-04 may have a temp gauge reading at the top of the green normal band or into the red hot band, with normal coolant temperatures. If no overheat condition is present, the instrument cluster should be replaced. If there is a code in the engine computer for ECT over 240 degrees, or if coolant is being expelled from the degas bottle, do not replace the cluster. Diagnose the overheat condition.
TSB 05-1-2

Very good information, I am glad I saw this because I am planning on putting a plow on my truck next fall.

My dad has an 05 F350 dump truck with a 10ft meyers plow and if you go over 55 mph on the highway it will get hot fast, no matter how you angle the blade. If you keep it under 55 mph it does fine.

I have a few 6.0s and 6.4 with plows on them and they all do the same thing. But as mentioned above they don't have the plow prep package. I wanna say my local dealership quoted us 500$ or so to upgrade the fan to the one for the plow prep but I could be wrong. My 6.4 is the worst by far tho. that won't be an issue tho if we don't get some snow soon!!!!

No problems here Thank God . I have a 9'2'' Boss VXT . I keep it LOW at all times . I plow with Eric's SCT Tow Tune . It's an animal to say the least .

Back