6.0 smoking bad

Nkimmel2

I went and looked at truck to possibly buy, the good: its an 06 f350 xlt 141k miles, super clean inside and out. the bad: but it just billows white smoke when its running, doesn't clean out if you rev it up either. smells like raw diesel. im thinking its got and injector stuck open. any other possible problems or just sound like it needs a set of injectors?

I checked the coolant reservoir, its full, not black and doesn't smell like exhaust. the smoke smells like raw fuel, like makes your eyes water.... like the fuel is just dumping in... coolant has a distinct smell when it burns.
I know the common issues they have, but I also know people that have them and love them, a friend of mine has 3 or 4 in his fleet and they have between 250-300k miles on them and run mint.

you could have an injector dumping fuel. 6.0 isnt that bad if you do the deletes and studs.

I went and looked at truck to possibly buy, the BAD: its an 06 f350 xlt 141k miles, super clean inside and out. the WORSE: but it just billows white smoke when its running, doesn't clean out if you rev it up either. smells like raw diesel. im thinking its got and injector stuck open. any other possible problems or just sound like it needs a set of injectors?

.....there, fixed it for you.... lol in all seriousness I would stay away if it's already got problems simply because those motors already have enough issues!

Sent from phone

def. an injector, was it missing or shaking? If you could take it a day like some dealers let you do. You couuld un plug injs 1 at a time with it running kinda of a crude way of checking them. ficm will make um smoke at start up at times too.

injectors are no biggie, you can change a full set in the driveway in less than a day if you have the needed tools handy. a basic code reader, or a ELM 327 and the torque app(if you have an android)and you can see if it has any early onset pending issues. The biggest issue this engine has is stupid parts changers who are under the mistaken impression that they are mechanics.

Putting am injector in it wouldn't scare me. I'd be worried how long it has been doing that and how much they have drove it like that..

it actually was running pretty smooth surprisingly. I watched on youtube how to do them it does look pretty basic. I wouldn't be afraid of doing them. it just had a ficm put in it like last week because it would run a few min and starting skipping real bad and quit. the injector just stuck with in the past few days, it did when an employee drove it home... that's what im worried about, it hurting the motor... I was looking at another truck according to a local ford dealer it needs 3 injectors and the turbo cleaned. but it has275k on it... ive heard about lifters failing and ruining the engine is that a common issue? and would a complete solution kit be good or would the bottom end be getting tired by then too? probably going with this one because its a huge difference in price!

Back