6.0 spin over but no fire

2wd_sled_puller

K&P Diesel House
I am working on a 6.0 psd and i have no scan tool which is a bad idea. I do how ever have one of them cheap ones from autozone to read codes and all but there are no engine codes stored. the truck is spinning over and acts like it wants to crank after u spin on it for a good 15 seconds but it just wont take off. Im thinking that maybe the ficm is bad. would u guys happen to be able to tell me if there is a way to check it without haveing the scan tool. Or anything eles that it may could be. The customer has told me the turbo has been replaced 5 months ago. other then that them are the only details i no of the truck

also according to the oil pressure gauge it is making oil pressure but i am not sure how much pressure it takes for that gauge to read normal

7psi will make the guage read. You can test the ficm by removing the cover on the front and reading voltage off of the pins manually with a multi meter. Just because it has low pressure oil does not mean it has high pressure oil necessary to trigger the FICM to fire the injectors. A good scan tool is a necessity on powerstrokes since a lot of generic code readers cannot read codes from them.

lol phale to bad they didnt have efi live for these things i could data log start up. Ill check the ficm in the moring think you sir for the reply

If you don't have a scan tool with bidirectional controls you'll spend hours chasing your tail in circles on a 6.0. You must also have a very good knowledge of how the electronic and hpop system work, a set of mechanical pressure gauges and/or good spare sensors to use in testing the various pressure systems. They ain't hard once you know how they tick and have the proper tools.

If you don't have a scan tool with bidirectional controls you'll spend hours chasing your tail in circles on a 6.0. You must also have a very good knowledge of how the electronic and hpop system work, a set of mechanical pressure gauges and/or good spare sensors to use in testing the various pressure systems. They ain't hard once you know how they tick and have the proper tools.

i guess i need to get my cheaters on and start reading then. lol i think i just need to stick to the duramax's and cummins. there alot easyerLOL any good threads around with alot of knowledge?

Not that I could ever find. Had to learn myself by reading, wrenching and taking classes. Its not possible to teach you all of it in 8 hours, the basics take that long and unless you experience an issue first hand you'll find it hard to retain the knowledge. The basics of a duramax are easier because its the same as any other hpcr motor.

What year is the truck? Also did it just up and quit running or did it start having hard hot start problems? If it sounds like it wants to start after lots of cranking with no codes then it could be Hugh pressure oil problem.

Well put man!! 1 problem could be 4 different things. What was it doing before it died? Almost sounds like a high pressure oil leak.

truck was running excellent shut it down sat for 2 days return back to it no fire the truck is a 2003

tommorw ill check the ficm voltage. Down in the valley it did look a little wet but i did not check for oil before i pulled the fuel filter to make sure it was full of fuel. So when i put the fuel filter back in all the diesel went into the engine valley.

The 03 hpo system is probably the best one there was. I'm thinking the IPR is bad. Would be nice to have it scanned first.

Don't even think of working on it with out a scan tool, you are just wasting your time and others time shotgunning parts at it.

One simple quick test you can do is unplug the ICP sensor and see if it has oil in the connector, and also if it starts. If it does and it does start, you have your problem. But like said before, its impossible to diagnose any PSD without a good scan tool.

The 03 hpo system is probably the best one there was. I'm thinking the IPR is bad. Would be nice to have it scanned first.

Except for the pump failures. If there is a problem in the HPO system it is more than likely a pump or IPR. The rest of the system is not likely to have leaks unlike the late 04-up motors.

One simple quick test you can do is unplug the ICP sensor and see if it has oil in the connector, and also if it starts. If it does and it does start, you have your problem. But like said before, its impossible to diagnose any PSD without a good scan tool.

this the more common of the 2 hpo failures on the 03's, unplug the icp like he said and look at the connector and the sensor if u can manage a view of it(sob to look at without a flash light and mirror) if its oily, good for u, much less work to replace icp, and the new one will be updated with new pigtail and all to prevent that blow out. also when its unplugged the computer will input a default value to the ficm of roughly twice the minimum value of what it needs to fire(needs 500psi, reads 1000 unplugged) if still no start, get the ipr out, and check the screen on it, i find a lot that have fallen apart and pieces get into the valve, again another mirror and flash light deal and some oring picks to dig out the pieces. aside from all that, and using a multi-meter to check the ficm, no special tools for that( besides an ipr socket, which u can rent from twilightzone) if all that still fails, get the right diagnostic equipment and start checking the hpop....keep us updated and good luck

p.s. after my first 3 ipr/icp inspections, money well spent on one of those hand held cameras scopes, flashlight and mirror went in the pile with those damned inner fan shrouds!!!!!!!!!:nail:

It only takes about 20 min to test the ficm voltages with a multimeter. Needs 2 guys though. Do that. Mine failed out of the blue 2 weeks ago. Went from driving fine, to no start.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Back