6.0 studs

the old lube was suppose to be torque to 280 i think the new ultra lube is 210 i went to 225

so could i do this without removing the heads if my headgaskets are still good?

A friend of mine said he could help me do that and i feel im mechanical enough to handle it. But have been looking for a shop to do them and change the headgaskets as well as headstuds just for precautionary measures.

Thanks!

You could do it but you'd be taking a chance of having to do it again. Without pulling the heads you have know way to find out if they're cracked or warped. Not to mention you could unsettle the head gaskets some even without pulling the heads when you remove the head bolts. If you don't want to or can't pull the cab, then pull the motor.

unbolt the motor mounts and trans mount. MAKE sure to put a block of wood between the jack and oil pan lift the engine up as for as you can go and work the bolts out they can be a pia but will make it easier to do you may have to do the same on driver side. I always tourque the nuts to 240 ftlbs you will not have to re tourque them.

Always lookin' for what might be a better/easier way for a cab on job. Not sure I understand what you're saying here, "you may have to do the same on driver side". Did you only remove the engine mount on the passenger side?

hot rod4,

What is this bracket that you are referring to?

Is this available from Ford? Or somebody else?

Sorry for the late reply. It bolts to the intake flange on the head and allows it to lift at the correct angle of the head on the block. I could take a pic if needed this would not be hard to make I don't think. Spindrift is probably right I'm sure it would be available through OTC.

Looked pretty thoroughly through the OTC products. The only lifting brackets that I could find that look like they might do the job is the 7100 - Lifting Brackets, 4000 lbs.

Are these the brackets that you are referring to?

Old spec for the old lube was 245 ft/lbs, new spec is 210 ft/lbs with the ultra torque? Why does everyone seem to think going more torque is going to help? You can damage the studs and distort the block by going beyond what they're recommending. The torque spec is derived from a specific stretch value based on the strength of the material they're using. Were you guys having issues at 210, and then decided to go "more?"

Back