6.0L Injector Tips

Spectre32

Welding Extraordinaire!
Does anyone know how hard it is to take off the injector tip(s)?

From my understanding you have to fully disassemble the injector

You gotta take it fully apart and there's a very specific order it has to go together but it's not hard at all.

Some stuff in there looks like it could go in facing either way but has to be facing a certain way so just pay attention.

This may be a dumb question. Please excuse me, I am new to diesels but what is the need to remove the tip? Is there a gain in the removal or modification of the tip or are you just cleaning or replacing?

Hey KRanch, I wouldn't recomend doing them unless you really know what you are doing. There are lots of small parts and crap in our injectors.

I may be new to diesel modifications but I am not new to turning a wrench. I was asking a question about an injector, not if someone thought I was able to do the mod. does anyone have an answer?

Hey KRanch,

Please don't take what I said as an insult. In one of your earlier posts you made the comment that you do a lot of drag racing. I'm sure you are a pretty good wrench.

There are a lot of little parts in the injectors; most can be put in one way or another. Tolerances are extremely tight, they are assembled in a Clean Room, and most people who tear 8 apart have problems with a few of them.

Being that you use your truck for towing, I assume reliability is important and I just was trying to say that for what you have mentioned in earlier posts, you would be best served not opening them up.

As far as your question, to remove the tip, you have to completely disassemble the tip as mentioned above in Unbroken’s post.

In regards to replacing/cleaning, yes. There are aftermarket tips that you can put on your injectors that will yield you more smoke and probably a little less performance, or you can clean the injector nozzle. But all and all, just replacing the tip, probably won’t yield you one positive benefit.

Well my buddy works in a place that does extrude honeing and they do diesel injector nozzles all the time. For like 100 bucks I can get all 8 of my injector nozzles cleaned out and honed to whatever size i want. You figure a new 190-225cc injector is like 1500-1800 dollars. I can pay 100 and get roughly the same. However, I'm not 100% on that. I know with cummins injectors(or any of the CR/Mechanical injectors) you can just hone the tip and get the same effect. I assume its the same on the PS.

P.S. By "tip" I really ment the whole nozzle.

I think we all know what you meant.

Just doing the tip, won't yield you anything but more smoke.

HEUI are different. There need to be additional internal modifications that these shops have researched and done to make the injectors flow more. Then a larger tips is needed/useful.

Stock injector with a big tip = smoke

And if the guy running the extrude hone "helps" you out with a few extra passes, then you will be trying to figure out why you have a constant vapor trail behind you from the pintle trying to seat a flat edge on a rounded surface.

Well thats why I asked. I know you can increase the diameter of thw holes on CR/Mechanical Injection Injectors, I didnt know if that owuld for for the PS.

Back