6.2/400 swap in my XJ cherokee

Huntingman27062

didnt know this section was here... so il probly do alittle of my build write up here... reason i decided to go this rout is because advanced adapters already makes the chevy motor mounts for the cherokees... im gonna have to fab my own cross member anyways due to my long arm setup ill also be installing... a 241 transfer case from a 88 1/2 ton IFS chevy will give me the 32 spline count and bolt pattern needed to bolt to the TH400 tranny and still give me drivers side drop for my 76 ford axles swap (D44,9in) ... so an adapter for this is not needed... and because its pretty much all mechanical... should be pretty straight forward... another reason im goin this rout is i found one with only13k original miles at my local army surplus store... both the motor and tranny for only $1500... maybe can even talk him down a bit more... the sooner i can sell my drivetrain off the sooner i will go pick this thing up... but i gotta get my axles set first... just wanted to get some ideas and opinions first... and NO.. i dont want a 4bt... lol... thanks!!

Looks like a fun build. I did the sbc swap in mine. 350/350/atlas combo.. post pics please

sounds interesting. have you considered converting it into a 6.5 turbo? i know both are pretty good left in near stock form and sure either one will have plenty of power for that size of a vehicle. definetly unique and might be one of the first i have heard of.

Looks like a fun build. I did the sbc swap in mine. 350/350/atlas combo.. post pics please

yeah ive seen some like this... theres a guy on my XJ forum who runs a 4.3 from a S10... he blew up like 3 stroker 4.0 motors before he decided they sucked... this is why im steering away from this.. after some research the stroked 4.0 isnt reliable and just not worth it... 350's a goodchoice though... much room against the fire walll??

sounds interesting. have you considered converting it into a 6.5 turbo? i know both are pretty good left in near stock form and sure either one will have plenty of power for that size of a vehicle. definetly unique and might be one of the first i have heard of.

i have... but i havent seen one on craiglist yet... not already out of a vehicle anyway and most have several thousand miles by now... the 6.2 is out with a tranny bolted to it and ready to go about 5 miles away... i can run the 6.5 turbo and exhaust manifold on the 6.2 with a couple small changes... fitting a intercooler my be interesting along with a radiator... neither are power monsters on the drag strip i know but with alittle added help will be awesome for offroad... and reliable... plus i could almost submerge the thing in water with a snorkle...

Attachments

• 1269874939608.jpg
    1269874939608.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1269874932361.jpg
    1269874932361.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1270479377472.jpg
    1270479377472.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 11
yeah you can look at my thread in here with the intercooler install or i think you might be able to get a CR intercooler or something similar. shop around on ebay there are several universal ones that you could probably get to fit for a decent price. i bet one would definetly help out on one of those engines even with a turbo.

i read a built that someone did on a suburban with one of these... said to find a motor newer then 88... from 89 up they used a serpentene (spelling lol) setup which adds power and reliability... they say not to even mess with the others... they can be converted over but its cheaper to buy one already done... so im gonna keep an eye out but if i dont find one then im still gonna go with this one... deff will look into a intercooler... almost a must... just not sure how im gonna fit it all yet... lol... we will see once i start glueing it all together... lol...

someone on here put a 6bt in a jeep wrangler not sure if he used one but if you can find it that might help he actually extended parts of the body to fit that motor but he might have used an intercooler.

shoot... he would have had to extend it... lol... theres a guy with a yellow jeep XJ with a 502 in it... but im trying to make sence of the swap... not just stick the biggest baddest motor in it... lol... sold the tranny/xfercase yesterday... now i gotta sell the motor and ill be able to get started on some things... may go ahead and buy everything to finish my axles first... hope to have a set of the H1 wheels this week or next week... and ill have to order the re-centers for them to...

yeah its not always about having the biggest and baddest one out there its also good to be unique. i dont think this one will be too bad of a project since its pretty much a small block size motor and there have been many put in a jeep.

i found ONE writeup on a guy doing this with his XJ... but he stopped posting in it... and thats all ive found about anyone elsedoing this... so if you know someone whos done it in a XJ by all means send them my way... i got questions... lol...

PS... the dodge is going up for sale if anyones interested... couple more things i want to get taken care of on it but otherwise soon to be ready...

Back