6.4 cummins build

You want to build a 1000+ hp cummins only once and not worry about the block, don't use a cast block.

Use a cast block, fill it, deck plate it with some better rod/stroke ratio and make 2500hp+ like a boss.

Well I bought a Hellmann side draft It's suppost to be here next week so I can get the head stuck on and finish the motor. I have purchased a used set of Exergy BMS 160% over nozzles I will be sending them with my injectors to Exergy this week to have them installed and balanced
So my question is will 160% overs make 1000-1100hp on a UDC tuned truck that has the pumps and air to keep up or do I need them to make them larger while there at Exergy this is goin to be a street/race truck so it will see the street as well as the track but it will be driven on the street a lot thanks for ur info

why not use an 06 harness/ecm conversion and EFI? just a thought...

160%'s are more than enough to make 1000. You will have plenty of fuel to play with

why not use an 06 harness/ecm conversion and EFI? just a thought...

I would have suggested the same thing a week ago, but after having Lavon throw a UDC tune on my white truck i'm not so sure the conversion is worth the hassle. This tune is clean, smooth, and has a ton more power than my old black truck did. Granted no data logging sucks, but i'm a believer now LOL

160%'s are more than enough to make 1000. You will have plenty of fuel to play with

x2

Thanks guys for the info and yes I had very good UDC tuning already in the last setup from another good tuner but I have talked with lavon about tuning this motor already and I have talked to a guy about his convertion harness but I am goin to try the UDC at first.I am shooting for 1000-1100hp and maybe some *nx* to burn some fuel if there's any left over :hehe: what do y'all think those injectors would or could make with this setup

6.4 Moderate

So I see...
Cheapest: deck block, 12/24v connecting rod.
Moderate: custom piston with lower bushing, 12/24 rod
Moderate: custom billet rod, stock pistons
Balls to wall: billet rod, custom pistons

Could anyone explain more in depth on the two moderate options?

I have a 900 hp DD tons of fun 5.9 but..

Planning a Moderate 1000+hp 6.4 build stock pistons with custom rods & full flowing head. Main reason is to take advantage of the larger bore and raise peak HP rpm while remaining a DD. I stuck a 5.9 crank in a stock 6.7 block and started measuring. My block (stock not decked yet) with a stock rod and std 6.7 piston measured the piston below .067. The stock piston top of piston to top of iron ring insert is 6 mm or .236. I calculated to maintain stock compression you could remove .050 to .055 from the top of piston and fly cut reliefs another .050. This would leave .131 to 136 at the bottom of the reliefs to the iron top ring insert. Considering I would allow piston protrusion of .020 with a .049 stock gasket I come up with a 7.700 length rod. Math 7.559 rod + .067 recess + .020 protrusion + .054 from top of pistons.

Question is there enough meat left at the top of pistons and valve reliefs? The cam I want to use is a 200/220 and wants valve reliefs of .080

Has anyone experienced block failures with the 6.4 like the 6.7? Are the cylinder pressures the same theoretically between both?

Well I got the engine finished and running and decided on a billet 484/96/1.32 with a 472/83/.90 twin setup. I was worried that it would be laggy on the street but it is very streetable they spool faster then my old 66/480 setup I will be at TS and we will see what it will do.

Well I finally got around to going to the dyno and get my truck UDC tuned by lavon at Firepunk.So he started tuning on it and the truck would not respond to any timing changes just like the truck would default back to stock timing for example.First pull made 874hp timing was 27* and 2600us so for the second pull the change was made to put on more fuel in it still 27* with 2800us it made 879hp that time. So we looked the truck over for boost leaks and drive psi leaks which we found a little of a drive psi leak (only dusting the maniflod not enough to care about ) but we took that in to account but couldn't find a boost leak the truck was making 93-96# of boost on the dyno which is what I see mostly so he made another change this time he set the timing at 27* and 2400us and the truck made 869hp with a very clean run so he decide the truck was responding to fuel changes.So the next pull he bought the timing up and I can't remember honestly what he set it to but in his opinion it should have been a max effort tune (so guessing we was in the 29-30* range) with 3100us and the truck only made 890hp .and also rp held firm at 25k and water temps was in check every pull so what could cause the computer to pull timing out of the tune or what's holding this truck back thanks for the comments and help

I would like to see your numbers on running just the s472.

I had a billet s472 on my 05 and based upon track times I was I the 870-880rwhp range.

Well I may have made a type O I ended up with a cast 471/83/.90 sorry just noticed it was u at rocky top shoot out ?

Sorry if I missed it....did you end up going with custom pistons or stock ones?

Yes and no there marine pistons then Ashley did some cutting on the bowl and floor height I don't know the specs that he cut off

Last edited:
Sorry this thread is a bit old. But op do you mind sharing a rough cost to build a similar bottom end to yours? Pm if necessary

Back