6.4 swap questions

chevota84

Has anybody been able to get around running the complete SD harness and dash to get a 6.4 to run?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

not gonna happen without an aftermarket ECM setup

the ECM won't allow the truck to run without PATS verification against the cluster. I bought a non-PATS cluster (what I believe to be a non-PATS cluster, anyhow) that I want to swap in one of my 6.4's just to see if it'll work.

I hold onto a pipe-dream of swapping a 6.4 into something some day and don't ever want to be shut down by a PATS issue. One of my trucks sat for about a year with no battery power, and we had to reprogram the PATS system to get it to start.

I can toggle the PATS verification in the PCM, but the cluster seems to still hold it back. Now that I think about it, I never checked to see if the truck would start by just triggering the starter command with the PATS disabled. It definitely wouldn't start with the PATS not programmed even with PATS disabled in the PCM. I'm guessing the cluster wouldn't allow the starter command signal

I have an obs that I want to swap something that isn't a Cummins into, a 6.4 would be cool but they've made it difficult. Could it run the international version of the ecm? I'm sure there's probably no tuning available for that though.

yeah, you'd be up against a serious wall with tuning.

it's really not THAT bad of a swap, but it's no Cummins...

I like 6.0's. They're easy swaps. I'd really like to have a 6.0 Bronco.

but I'm going to hold onto my eternal pipe dream 6.4 swap project because I just friggin' love them, and it's a big enough project that I'll probably never tackle it :( (hasn't stopped me from accumulating a couple key pieces here and there)

6.7 would be tits. and they're cheaper/easier to find, but they're slightly more complex, though probably not much more complex of a swap. And I prefer the 5R over the 6R.

But by the time I'm actually able to start on the project, I might have to concede to do a 6.7. I don't know if they made non-PATS 6.7's though

Last edited:
I'd kind of settled on doing a 6.0 just because of simplicity, my plan was to find a wrecked coil spring SD and swap all the running gear into my obs. A 6.4 would be way cooler if it could be done reasonably and the trucks aren't much more expensive to buy wrecked.

the cost is crazy different... you can get a rough donor 6.0 for next to nothing

and there's the semi-fragility of the 6.4 and the cost of repair if you end up with a wounded one. 6.0's USUALLY don't completely chit the bed and are way cheaper to get dialed in.

but that 6.4 though... yum

466 maybe? They're heavy but tough as anvils, and you could do a real Jacobs. I have no idea how to tune that industrial ECM though. Be awesome if a guy could really tune a Maxxforce 7.

Last edited:
466 maybe? They're heavy but tough as anvils, and you could do a real Jacobs. I have no idea how to tune that industrial ECM though. Be awesome if a guy could really tune a Maxxforce 7.

Yucky. Maxxforce :Throwup:

yeah, you'd be up against a serious wall with tuning.

it's really not THAT bad of a swap, but it's no Cummins...

I like 6.0's. They're easy swaps. I'd really like to have a 6.0 Bronco.

but I'm going to hold onto my eternal pipe dream 6.4 swap project because I just friggin' love them, and it's a big enough project that I'll probably never tackle it :( (hasn't stopped me from accumulating a couple key pieces here and there)

6.7 would be tits. and they're cheaper/easier to find, but they're slightly more complex, though probably not much more complex of a swap. And I prefer the 5R over the 6R.

But by the time I'm actually able to start on the project, I might have to concede to do a 6.7. I don't know if they made non-PATS 6.7's though

Curious why you prefer the 5r over the 6r?

Back