6.4 vs 6.7

silvercummins14

Georgia Diesel Mafia
Looking for some people who have towed with both, things you like and dislike. Ive got am 09 6.7 and have always towed with dodges/cummins but with all the problems with headgaskets and new trannys it has had me thinking of trying a 6.4. I will be towing heavy 15k and more, mainly haulings cows, hay, and equiment. Whats everyones thoughts?

2 engines in 2 years in my 450, it will have a 12valve between the rails in the next few weeks

i have took bolth on long road trips loaded way over GVW on the dodge and heavy on the ford.......2010 dodge and 08 ford

neither truck was stock. the dodge would walk around the ford with 6K more on the trailer and get better or the same mileage. the dodge was way more fat guy comfortable and the littler people liked them also. i can go into more detail if needed

i have took bolth on long road trips loaded way over GVW on the dodge and heavy on the ford.......2010 dodge and 08 ford

neither truck was stock. the dodge would walk around the ford with 6K more on the trailer and get better or the same mileage. the dodge was way more fat guy comfortable and the littler people liked them also. i can go into more detail if needed

no way in hell... I'm a fat mofo and the Ford is more comfortable IMO.

But if I'm hauling anything heavy, I'm sitting behind a Cummins. And I LOVE my 6.4!

6.7 Stroke TTFMF

Do_Not_Want_Dog%20(1).jpg

I only see Cummins around here towing stuff, very rarely a ford so that must mean something. The 6.7 Ford I ran with once got worse mileage than the 466e International I was driving and he was grossing less than me. No Fords for me.

Y'all ain't towed with a 6.7 before if y'all are bashing it. These things are a beast and make towing way to easy.

Meh, I've pulled the dodge with mine (around 10k off the bumper) and it gets to 70-80mph no problem, never came out of 6th, and never lost speed climbing mild hills. That's with 3.73's, 3" lift, 35's, and bone stock engine, showing 11.7 mpg on the dash. I'll check it by hand one of these days, never really cared about mpg's tho.

I know it's apples to oranges, but the last load of similar weight I pulled with a stock 05 6 speed 5.9 dually felt way heavier. The cummins would stay at 70 once you got it there, but damn it took forever to get there.

Last edited:
Silver... Don't you need to stick with GM products???

Ford didn't take of your boys "Bail Out" money...

You selling out on him????

LOL

I suppose, but I never compare stock trucks to stock trucks because I never own stock trucks :eek:

the 6.7 Fords have me scared with their turbo issues

15k I pull that everyday with my 6.0. Not as effective as my old Dodge but gets it done with way more comfort and 2mpg better mileage.

I really wanna try a 6.7 PSD pulling my junk, I have pulled my trailer with a 6.4 and it was like nothing was there.

the 6.7 Ford will pull it no problem. And they definitely get better mileage stock than the 6.4, but I'm not about to throw down on a $50k truck, so they're not really on my radar :(

I'm not about to throw down on a $50k truck, so they're not really on my radar :(

That's what I said! LOL
Then it was "I bet I can get a left over '11 cheap"
Then it was "oh, if you do it right, you can get a 12 for about the same damn price"

I'll get to see how it does pulling a 38' 5th wheel travel trailer back from NC here in a couple weeks. I'm not worried. :D

Last edited:
It'll pull it like crazy. Keep it stock and enjoy! I don't like spending more than about $20k on a truck! LOL

You and me both, but I have spent almost 1/2 that on my 06 this year alone just to get it right and I still dont have air.............................:bang

No tranny problems out of the dodge? I guess thats my biggest concern. Ive got alot of friends going through trannies with just a mild tune while towing. Havent heard of any problems with the 5r trannies. In the past i wouldnt mind building a tranny but theses 68rfe are alot more expensive to build

Meh, I've pulled the dodge with mine (around 10k off the bumper) and it gets to 70-80mph no problem, never came out of 6th, and never lost speed climbing mild hills. That's with 3.73's, 3" lift, 35's, and bone stock engine, showing 11.7 mpg on the dash. I'll check it by hand one of these days, never really cared about mpg's tho.

I know it's apples to oranges, but the last load of similar weight I pulled with a stock 05 6 speed 5.9 dually felt way heavier. The cummins would stay at 70 once you got it there, but damn it took forever to get there.

Apples to oranges is right-

Probably higher gvwr on the newer ford, 7 years of technology, 75 more hp and 190ft/lbs.

Bag the dodge, clutch, and a smarty JR and it would be a much "lighter" load.

IMHO the 6.7 cummins is a towing mother with the delete's and a clutch to hold it. We used to haul firewood, 29ft tandem dual on the back of a 4dr dually 4wd with 6 cords of oak or mesquite. Wood weighs in at ~4k lbs a cord, trailer at 6k+, then the truck.
Other rig was a Chevy 4500 with a duramax, Allison, and 4.56 gears..... Made for the weight. Similar trailer setup and 6 cords.
The 6.7 always got better mileage, and would walk away when it was asked to.

If it was me hauling 24/7 my choice would be a manual tranny 6.7 cummins, deleted, head studs, an organic Valair dual disk, a cheetah 351 or 451 to keep the Exhaust braking, and a tune of some sort.
The 07 6.7 above would get 9-10 mpg with that load.

Back