6.7 dodge or 6.4 ford?

torque beast

addicted to diesel
I know I might get flamed for this but I spent all day yesterday looking at trucks. The chevy truck just does not do it for me but I do like features of the ford and features of the dodge trucks. I like the room of the mega cab but like the interior of the ford. The ford turns sharp now since they went to the coil springs like dodge but the dodge has a quicker turning ratio which I like. Now when it comes to power train I like the cummins engine but the 68re seems to be an issue when it comes to holding extra power. The 6.4 can get 530hp easily with just a programmer and I was told that the stock transmission will hold 600hp BUT it is just a 5 speed and does not have the gear selector like the chevy and dodge.

Does anyone else have any pros or cons for either of these trucks I need to know about before purchasing one?

did you forget about all the emmissions on these and the trouble with them and programmers you may be able to get a modd friendly dealer just talk to them it cant hurt. The dodge has the factory exhuast brake that i like, the ford has twins i like that even better. But i cant afford either so it dont matter its up to you what to buy, i have found this to be true for me anyway, when i start looking at a new truck i seem to find more and more things about mine that i dont like and pick at it to death. those little things never seemed to bother me before til i got to wanting a new truck. It really just what you like the most and what your expecting the truck to do.

I seen a ford test truck the other day and it was a six speed auto with manual mode like the allison. But I dont know if they will go behind the 6.4 or wait for the 6.7

6.4 Ford hands down... my buddy and his dad both have 08's and love them. and ive talked to a few guys that i know that own 6.7 dodges(one is a flatbed that is always pullin a horse trailer) and they dont have much good to say about them.

I hear a lot of grumbling about the 6.7, and not as much about the 6.4L. I love my job three 6.4L, but it's not an automatic. They have all of the kinks worked out now, but just like with any new engine, there were a few kinks, but not near as bad as the 6.0L. The '09's now are great. I can't vouch for the 6.7L's, I don't like the smaller interior of the QC, and can't stand the looks of the MC. The emissions BS is in all newer diesels, so you're going to have to fight that either way, but there are good products on the market now. Get a 6.4L, drive it for 10,000 miles, get an intake, DPF/DOC delete, and Spartan tunes, and you won't regret it.

I'm a dodge guy, but I have a friend with a 6.4 ford.

I have to say the ford is a solid piece. He did the dpf delete and a tuner and the truck runs awesome. MPG sucks, but it has plenty of room, nice interior, and the tranny in the ford has been proven to hold up to over 600hp in stock form.

The dodge 6 speed auto's are weak. Not really any potential for upgrades either -- just a better converter.

Everytime I ride in a tuned 6.4L, I get a strong urge to take my truck in and trade it for one but my wife would shoot me dead. Can't comment on the 6.7 Cummins but I would kill to have a 6.4!

Isn't GM coming out with a half ton 4.4L (I think) diesel in 2010ish?

ima dodge guy.. but when it comes to a brand new truck off the lot.. I would lean 100% to a 6.4 Truck ina heartbeat... We have an 08 F550 as our Plow Truck for the township.. and that thing hands down is a hoss...of course the trannies behind the 550's are probably not the same ones as the 250's and 350's ( im probably wrong but oh well dont really know the tec' specs on the Fords ) but its still a helluva truck... no problems with the engine....Lots of potential in my book...so id lean ona 6.4.

I know I might get flamed for this but I spent all day yesterday looking at trucks. The chevy truck just does not do it for me but I do like features of the ford and features of the dodge trucks. I like the room of the mega cab but like the interior of the ford. The ford turns sharp now since they went to the coil springs like dodge but the dodge has a quicker turning ratio which I like. Now when it comes to power train I like the cummins engine but the 68re seems to be an issue when it comes to holding extra power. The 6.4 can get 530hp easily with just a programmer and I was told that the stock transmission will hold 600hp BUT it is just a 5 speed and does not have the gear selector like the chevy and dodge.

Does anyone else have any pros or cons for either of these trucks I need to know about before purchasing one?

I have the 6.7 mega cab with 22s I like the truck but dont like the 10-12MPG.

The 6.4 ford is a very nice truck no doubt. But 6.7 dodge with the rite box and dpf and egr delete is as good or better they can get upwards of 25mpg and rite at 500hp. And the tranny has not been and isssue.

Last edited:
Ford has a lot more choices on interiors and creature comforts in their trucks, along with special editions like Harley Davidson, King Ranch, Cabelas, etc.

The truck is basically your second home, so I would take the most comfortable and truck that feels like it has the most space. I vote ford.

Can't speak on drivability of either, as I have not driven them, but I see a lot of good things coming from the 6.4.

Of course ford is gonna switch to a 6.7 in 2011 or 2010 and there wont be any more 6.4's coming from the dealers... but its a good engine from what we have seen.

ima dodge guy.. but when it comes to a brand new truck off the lot.. I would lean 100% to a 6.4 Truck ina heartbeat... We have an 08 F550 as our Plow Truck for the township.. and that thing hands down is a hoss...of course the trannies behind the 550's are probably not the same ones as the 250's and 350's ( im probably wrong but oh well dont really know the tec' specs on the Fords ) but its still a helluva truck... no problems with the engine....Lots of potential in my book...so id lean ona 6.4.

Its the same tranny all the way from a 250 to a 550.

I hear from a stock standpoint that the Dodge gets around 2mpg better than the ford. The Ford's interior is far better than the 09 Dodge, but take a look at the new Dodge 1/2 ton's interior wich will be in the HD's for 010. Night and day differance. One issue I would have with the Ford would be the fact that Ford is not going to stick with the 6.4 for very long (only through the 010 model I think). That limits options for parts/hot rod items for the future, if this motor is only in for 3 model years.

I think that the ford is alright,, but drive one,, I mean really drive one, then drive the dodge... we have a ford for a shop truck here,, nice enough truck, until you go to pull into a parking spot,, or just turn a corner,,, feels like it is twice as big as my chevy,, and my dodge just handles like a sports car in comparison... I think that the 6.4 engine and tranny combo are good,, but as one other fellow mentioned, it is only going to be a short run model,, which will eventually stop R&D on stuff for this engine.... just a couple things to think about

I got the Chance to drive all three the other day, '09 F250 CC Long Box 6.4l Auto 4x4, '09 2500 Chevy CC Shortbox 6.6l 4x4 Auto, and a '09 2500 QC Long Box 6.7l Auto 4x4 Lifted with 35's. Honestly after driving them i'd have a very difficult choice in which i'd actually buy.. I've been a Ford guy all my life and Cant see myself with out one, but the Chevy and Dodge may have changed my mind.. All three had loads of towing Power and had no problems "Breaking Loose" if i just dropped the pedal at a stop light... I say go drive them all and see which you actually like the most

man I'm trying to make the same decision, I've always been i die hard cummins guy but i'm not impressed with dodge trucks, but love Ford trucks and they are making big power pretty easy with these 6.4's with minor trouble. I'm just concerned about reliability out of the 6.4 how are these things holding up? I'm a Diesel tech for a living and 70% of my work is on 6.0 and if the 6.4 is anything like it i want no part of it.

so what kind of gas mileage are these 6.4 seeing with all the deletes and spartan tune, What hp setting is getting them the best mileage?

Back