6.7 do's and DONT'S

smh. Hate to break it to ya dangerous but there really isn't anything they can do "inside" to make a box s366 better aside from a 360 thrust and that alone isn't going to make it a 900hp turbo. In fact, I would be curious to see if it even has that! You can shine a light through the drain towards the front of the turbo and see if it is a 360 thrust or not...

I want a good 700 hp I want to pull 25k up a 10% 5 mile hill at 65 2200 rpm with EGT's at 1200 with the A?C on!
Right now my 5.9 with Chris's 63=68-.80AR can do 65 at 3000rpm O.D. off at 1300 EGT's with the A/C/ off! Pulling 25k!! So I don't think I'm asking to much!
The new one is a 66-74-.91 non waste gated I asked and he said I didn't need it I trust him he did great with the 63! If I have to waste gate it in the future I'll buy a manifold with a gate!

I want a good 700 hp I want to pull 25k up a 10% 5 mile hill at 65 2200 rpm with EGT's at 1200 with the A?C on!
Right now my 5.9 with Chris's 63=68-.80AR can do 65 at 3000rpm O.D. off at 1300 EGT's with the A/C/ off! Pulling 25k!! So I don't think I'm asking to much!
The new one is a 66-74-.91 non waste gated I asked and he said I didn't need it I trust him he did great with the 63! If I have to waste gate it in the future I'll buy a manifold with a gate!

I promise you that thing will be hot at 700hp.

A box 66 with a billet wheel....is still a box 66....with a billet wheel.

I really hope you didn't pay too dam much for it considering it is a home brew sxe....but worse.

Seems putting in the 6.7 with 5.9 ecm and injectors is becoming popular!
I was gonna build a 6.4 but I got such a great deal on some Carrillo rods for the 6.7 that I decided to build a 6.7 instead! I got the rods Mahle Industrial pistons and rings a set of 03 Injectors BBI's! a Secret squirrel 66 turbo and a Hamilton cam with all the related parts! Now it's time to put it all together and was hoping some diesel guru's would share their knowledge with us minions!

I got the .020 off the connecting rod caps so oil can escape faster tip!
What else should I be doing? Let the knowledge flow...........

This by Smokem
0.010-0.012" piston to wall;

Top ring - 0.030-0.032"
2nd ring - 0.030-0.032"
Oil ring - 0.020-0.022"
I hope my rings aren't as bad as the guy in the other thread! I would like less soot in my oil can I go tighter on the second ring?

My rings came out to .023 top, .048 middle, .024 oil. (Opened up a little when I checked it with my good feeler guages I keep at work). I had it honed to .009 ptw and those are factory cummins rings that weren't ground. I ground 2 oil rings to make them all the same. If you're going to have over .010 ptw yours would probably be wider than that.
Also, I contacted several machine shops and was told that the connecting rods don't need to be clearance for what I am using the engine for. Just a street truck and no crazy rpms.

My builder said .010 - .012 was to much?? He runs a .006 .008 Wouldn't that be to tight? I told him .010 clearance anybody want to comment!? I would like a tighter 2nd ring to cut down on soot in the oil. Anybody know the safe minimum?

My clearances were without filing, that's how they came from cummins. My machinist said he shoots for .008 ptw, but it took and extra thou to clean it up.

My builder said .010 - .012 was to much?? He runs a .006 .008 Wouldn't that be to tight?

Clearances/tolerances are application specific, you would not use the same values on an engine that is used for street/towing as you would with a dedicated performance build. Don't be too hasty to make decisions and purchase parts that don't suit what you are trying to accomplish.

Parts are bought just want to be sure I have the right info for the machine shop! With that said Smokem can you give the optimum specs for my street tow rig? Just the basic stuff for all moving parts would be appreciated!

The conclusion I came to is put everything to factory spec but max on the rings and .008-.010 ptw. If you plan on it getting hot even just once in a while all it takes is for the rings to kiss and it is time to restart

Time for an update! 6.7 is in! The tranny is not liking it! Shudder in first?? Besides that rock solid pulling machine! I did my carnie hauls those bastards are heavy 25k easy! and it didn't even slow down! temps stayed normal even the tranny!
SOTP the torque is ridiculous but it's so smooth it's deceptive ! 0 to 60 like right now! I had the tuner go soft for the first tunes but I think there is a lot still left. Burn outs are cool goes thru all the gears! Boost is around 45. Wish I had a dyno available close! 60 to 120 is like 4 seconds but you never feel it the needle just moves fast! OH and the best part is 25MPG 20 on average 18 when pulling which is weird!

The 6.7 definitely is a torque monster. Yesterday with the Fiance and Mother in Law in the truck, not even playing, I broke the tires loose at 45 MPH after shifting. They freaked out and I just laughed and said, man it is nice to have power on demand.

I'm running a similar setup except stock Pistons and S467. You will be happier once you give that truck more air.

20k with 3.42 and egt stayed around 1100

I want a good 700 hp. I want to pull 25k up a 10% hill 5 miles long at 65mph around 2200 rpm with EGT's at 1200 deg F and the A/C on!

Subscribing for this formula. Please post the final results. Edited so Scot can read it. LOL

I'll be hauling a couple trailers to Phoenix about 25k each! 10 E has a great climb up 3000 feet always blown up trucks and semis on the side of the road! I'll let you know how it does! Right now I'm amazed! Combo I have has got an amazing amount of torque and NO SMOKE! I'm going to Data Log for my tuner to see what can be improved on. Not sure if it's the turbo or what but feels like it's held back up top! 4000rpm is easy but my 5.9 had a push you back in the seat thrill! But this one is like a train never feel anything but the load and speedo just move!

Back