6.7 into 06 5.9 with 06 electronics won't fire

06 DIESEL

Dead Eye Firearms LLC
OK, so back in December my motor in my 06 let go the day after I started moving into my new to me house. Ordered a 6.7 from Blacks the next day with a Hammilton cam, pushrods, and valve springs as well as ARP head studs and industrial pistons since I did not want to change my injector from 04.5+ to 03-04.

In March my brand new to me house flooded and took all of my time until the middle of June getting that back together to how it was before the flood and engineering away the problem.

Over the last few months, 8 now I guess, I have been putting it back together and into the truck in my free time, which isn't much. Got the motor into the truck two weeks ago, go the trans into the truck early this week.

Went to fire it today, have all of the wiring hooked up, injectors, etc hooked up but no front belt, alternator, radiator, etc yet so that I can look it over good and make sure everything is OK before I make it really hard to see.

Found out that my batteries, that are 6 years old, are weak, put them on the charger to get them to 12 volts so that I could crank it over. Cranks fine, but drains the batteries before it fires. Not making smoke, did on first attempt, but not after that. I assume it is still trying to bleed the air out of the system since it was 100% empty. I have cranked it over for maybe 30 seconds total, over 3 different attempts before the batteries gave up.

I did change the dampener to a 6.7 dampener with built in tone ring, I assume that it is no different than the 5.9 tone ring, but did not compare before I put it on. Can anyone confirm that they are the same?

Any suggestions/things to look for?

I am trying to get it running today so that I can drive it to work this week before taking it to Illinois on Friday for vacation.

Apparently I was correct it just had to bleed more air out, came out and tried one more time and it cranked right up and fired. Time to put the rest of it back together.

I was gonna say keep cranking after you replace the batteries! and yes tone ring is the same! So can I get the part number for the industrial 6.7 pistons that will use a 04.5 + injector. I take it you didn't want to part with the injectors you have?

FYI for those doing this swap the 5.9 fan hub and the 6.7 dampened hit each other. I have to find a 6.7 fan hub for the fan asap.

ebay

Doing the same swap and had to find one. There's a guy with 2 on ebay, but they're pricy
good luck,
Scott

I got mine from the dealer easy! 68002978AA Cummins # 4930580
Thanks for the piston #

Doing the same swap and had to find one. There's a guy with 2 on ebay, but they're pricy
good luck,
Scott

I got mine from the dealer easy! 68002978AA Cummins # 4930580
Thanks for the piston #

Thanks guys I'm going to call Jeff in the morning and get it shipped out he is one day shipping from me so it will be here on Tuesday when I get home from work and I can change it out.

I put the 5.9 dampener back on for now so that I can get some miles on it. I will order the 6.7 fan hub assembly this week and swap it out in a few weeks after I get back from Illinois.

I have 110 miles on it now, all seems well, I did just get a long crank, almost fired then stopped lighting, then fired again. It did something similar when I put the 5.9 dampener back on, I bet it has to do with the crank sensor, lovely.

I have 110 miles on it now, all seems well, I did just get a long crank, almost fired then stopped lighting, then fired again. It did something similar when I put the 5.9 dampener back on, I bet it has to do with the crank sensor, lovely.

Pretty cheap, easy fix if its the crank senor. Do you happen to have a scan tool?

What spray pattern do they use?

I'm using the stock 08 truck injector and nozzle, but I'm running an 08 ECM as well. I couldn't tell you for sure what the 6.7 QSB or industrial engines use, but running this setup in an 06 truck with 06 ecm? 5 hole 128* or 7 hole 143*. Pick your poison..

No scan tool I do have to get an order in with Jeff tomorrow anyway might just get one with my order.

My truck is running 06 ecm, electronics, injectors etc in the 6.7 with industrial pistons. Ashley Black picked the Pistons knowing that I was using the 06 injectors.

Just wanted to close this one out in case anyone was searching for similar issues. Charged batteries and it fired after cranking again. Had to replace the batteries two days later, since then no issues and I have 2200 miles on it now. No check engine light, no codes, no issues at all.

Night and day better. Towing a gross of 37k at 70 MPH I was at a max of 32# boost, 28# drive pressure and 1150* EGT. I have an exhaust leak that is most likely leading to lower boost numbers but it did great.

Last edited:
Back