6.7L CTD viscous damper on 5.9L CTD ??

seafish

Hi all, hoping that some of you guys you did this conversion like described in this thread--

6.7 Dampner on a 5.9 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

might take the time to tell me how you like the mod, and more importantly, hopefully describe EXACTLY the process you went through in order to get the 6.7L CTD oem torsional damper to fit on the 5.9L CTD.

I would REALLY appreciate it, since after getting rid of my DMF in order to install an SBC 3250 on my truck, I want to eliminate some of the torsional stress that dissing the DMF has introduced to my aluminum cased, G56 manual tranny.

I know that I could use the Fluidamper, but the 6.7L damper is cheaper, also viscous, heavier then the fluidamper, AND I understand that after the mod, one does not have to pull the dampner back off in order to change the serpentine belt.

ALL help and info is greatly appreciated!!

TIA

For all the discussion here and on TDR I don't think anyone has done it yet. Should only have to buy the 6.7 damper (Cummins PN 4933224, $222) and 6.7 fan pulley (Cummins PN 4930580, $44) and should be a simple parts swapout.

I had issues with the damper being too thick with the integrated signal ring on the back side. If it weren't for that it would have bolted right on.

I HAVE heard that there is definitely more of fitment/thickness issues on the 12v CTD.

I had issues with the damper being too thick with the integrated signal ring on the back side. If it weren't for that it would have bolted right on.

So was it hitting the back of the fan or the side of the fan pulley??

Some people, like VMacKenzie above, are saying that you can use the 6.7L fan pulley, which then makes enough clearance between the damper and the fan in the 5.9L application.

BUT I still have NOT talked to anybody who has been successful with the swap out.

Last edited:
Just about anything "can" be done.... But will it cost as much as just buying a fluidamper?

Well as VMacKenzie points out in his post above, so far the cost of the 6.7L damper and the 6.7L fan pulley total out to $266 when purchased through cummins or a discount mopar supplier. That is still about $150 less then the list prices on the Fluidamper right now.

Though there is NO question that the Fluidamper is an excellent plug n'play product for our trucks, there is also no question that I owuld rather have $150 in MY pocket.

There is also the possibilty (still to be confirmed) that the oem 6.7L damper weighs several pounds MORE then the Fluidamper, and also the advantage that with the 6.7L damper, you can change the serpentine belt without pulling the damper off, which apparently CAN'T be done with the Fluidamper.

So all of those potential advantages make it worth looking into, at least in my book.

Still hoping that CompD member XLR8R will chime in here, as he has experience with this conversion AND sells the Fluidamprs..!!!

Last edited:
It was hitting my billet front cover on the back side of the damper. I don't have a fan pulley on the truck to worry about.

It was hitting my billet front cover on the back side of the damper. I don't have a fan pulley on the truck to worry about.

So that must have been on the 02...

I guess it must be a closer fit on the 2003 and up CR??

Anybody else with experience doing this mod on a common rail CTD ??

My attempt was on my 96 pulling truck. I dont' have a fan or pulley to worry about the diameter of the damper.

My attempt was on my 96 pulling truck. I dont' have a fan or pulley to worry about the diameter of the damper.

Thanks for clarifying that....

Anyone else with experience fitting one on a common rail CTD ??

Back