6.9 turbo'd f350

AKDuramax

Rice-Burner Burner
I just bought a 1986 f350 4x4 dually reg cab flatbed with PTO-driven hydraulic dump. its got the 6.9 idi with the ats turbo and a manual tranny. i'm just wondering if y'all could give me some info. What are the safe boost levels and egt's for this baby? Its a manual, so what tranny is in it? What can i do for more power? The truck has close to 200k miles on it, but the engine had a complete overhaul 35k miles ago. The only thing they didn't do was replace the heads. Where can i get a good set of heads for this thing? I'm gonna do studs when i to the heads, and i'll probably have it o-ringed while I'm at it. Are there any beefy gaskets for them? I know with my Cummins I can get a .020" over marine gasket. Thanks guys, sorry for the long post, but I'm excited to get this new project under way!

Kevin

Attachments

• Flatbed 001.jpg
    Flatbed 001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Flatbed 003.jpg
    Flatbed 003.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Flatbed 004.jpg
    Flatbed 004.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 15
the 6.9 have trouble with heads good idea on the studs. not sure about the boost with no waste gate one truck i have worked on sees around 20 lbs and seems to have no problems but thats a ford 7.3 turbo from factory with different pistons your truck Id say after you did the studs would run best with minimal timing bump at around 12 15 peak due to the high compression pistons unless it had turbo piston put in it during the rebuild. pump has a two bolt cover on the passenger side that inside it takes a mirror to look but with the batterys disconnected turn the motor over until you can see an allen head in side a hole in that cover its a 5/16 aallen id go no more the a 1/2 turn clockwise untill you get studs and check for what pistons you have. becareful with run away have a board ready to smother the turbo after start up. then there are alway the 40 horse marine injectors.

Back