6 hole vs. 7 hole injectors

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
I just finished p-pumping my 02 and plan on using it primarily for sledpulling. Currently I have 7x.012 injectors that I had made this summer out of my stock injectors. They had less than 5K miles on them since I bought the truck new and then replaced them, so I considered them new... that being said. I'm thinking I would rather have 6 hole injectors of the same size or slightly larger to limit the chance of an injector tip failure again. What 6 hole size would be compareable to a 7x12? A 6x16? 6x18?

What's everyones opinions on this? And if you have some 6 holes you might be interested in trading, let me know, lol.

What kind of power you want to make? and whats your pump and turbo?

I would say a 6x.013" would be comparable to what you have. I am also thinking of going to a 6 hole injector.

I'm shooting for 600hp, but I would be happy with anything over 500. My pump mods right now are 180 pump w/ 0 plate, Haisley 5Kgsk, 22* timing and AFC full forward and the turbo is a s465 w/ .9 A/R exhaust housing. I'm leary of more timing with the stock spray angle of the 24V injectors and the fact I have the HO pistons that have a slightly tighter bowl than a SO piston.

I do have another head I am P&P this winter and milling the intake off... so the air side will be better by spring to help the turbo. Just working on fuel right now since I can clean these 7x12's up by 2400 rpm... I figure I have plenty more room for fuel. Though, I haven't really hammered on the new motor yet... and sled behind it might put enough load on it that it will fuel harder, who knows.

I dont think you are clearing up the injectors. Those should flow a lot of fuel with a P-pump behind them. I would get some delivery valves first!

I dont think you are clearing up the injectors. Those should flow a lot of fuel with a P-pump behind them. I would get some delivery valves first!

I have 181's in it... I still need to do some internal work that I have planned, should get me more rack travel.

yes. thats a good sized injector. that turbo should never clear the smoke up on injectors of that size. your limit is in your pump right now, not your injector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8DNzlJlDo

here is a video of my truck. i was running the 8x11's and an sx4 76x76 mm turbo. its a 180 pump from an automatic.

with my p-pumped 24v i ran a 7x15 and an 8x11. the 8x11 actually worked a little better with my sx4. this year i am upgrading the turbo and im gonna go back to the 7x15's

yes. thats a good sized injector. that turbo should never clear the smoke up on injectors of that size. your limit is in your pump right now, not your injector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8DNzlJlDo

here is a video of my truck. i was running the 8x11's and an sx4 76x76 mm turbo. its a 180 pump from an automatic.

with my p-pumped 24v i ran a 7x15 and an 8x11. the 8x11 actually worked a little better with my sx4. this year i am upgrading the turbo and im gonna go back to the 7x15's

Thats kinda what I was thinking, that it was my pump limiting me on fuel. Though, I was looking into 6 holes because I'm still a little gun-shy of 7 holes after loosing a motor to a cracked tip and was just curious what would be a comparable size.

would ddp 200s be plenty of injector for a 215 pump on a ppumped 24v?

E.D. 68/74/.91 a/r is the charger, my pump has scheid big dv's, 4k gsk. the boy im getting the whole setup from said his 200's were plenty, but im just wondering how those would do on the track.

i have a set of bosch 105hp injectors right now, im wanting to send them to ddp and have them hone them out into something bigger. good idea or no?

Well, still being new to the P-pump game, I'm not 100% if my experience with injector size in relation to turbo size will carry over. 7x14's are a good sized injector on a VP pump, but I think they have more potential with a p-pump... though I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more knowledge will speak up? I know as of right now my s465 is cleaning up my 7x12's by about 2500 rpm, but I still have more pump mods I can do to remedy that.

If funds allow it, I would go with 6 holes though, if for anything the piece of mind they give over 7 holes for reliablility.

Jeremy have you got to do any testing with different injectors? My new stuff should be here this week. I'm hoping my pump doesn't hold me back they are DDP comps set up accordingly with an S471. If funds allow I want to try a few things out injector wise though.

If funds allow it, I would go with 6 holes though, if for anything the piece of mind they give over 7 holes for reliablility.

It is the nozzle type that is the difference, not just the hole count.

What the biggest flow numbers you can get out a 6 hole vs 7 hole? How does the spray or discharge look like? I want to run a big big set of sticks with a 800 to 850cc pump. I will have NOS and big set of twins ready to go. I'm ok with modifying my 24 head to fit the injectors, just as long as it will make power.

smokem- pm me a price on getting my injectors getting reworked to a 7x14.

I just sold my 7x18 to run a set of 8x11... Ill let you know how they work out. A good set of 200hp sticks will flow a LOT of fuel with just a 12mm P7100 pushing them. A 2.6 turbo will have a helluva time cleaning them up if the pump is right!

Back