62/71/13ss vs. 64/71/13ss what to do?!

wdimig

ok guys, i have read every thread on these two turbos untill i have gone cross eyed, the current turbo on the truck is the old sled puller 66/65/14, it just isn't the right turbo for the truck, turbine is smaller than the compressor, not a great wheel combination, the thing loves to surge most of the time. now i have been trying the break 500hp with my 12v it seems like forever, i am changing the injectors soon from the not so great 370's to a set of weston's 5x.014's which i know will be am awsome injector, i just dont know what to do about the turbo, i know the 64/71/13ss will support my goal of about 550hp or so, and will still spool decently, im sure alot better than the turbo on the truck at the moment, but what about the 62 wheel??? im sure a 62/71/13ss will be a spoolin SOB on the street and dyno, my only concern is the top end, i know things will probably get a little warm, i attribute that to the full cuts in the pump right now, will trying some 191's with weston's injectors, just not sure if there will be anough air on the top end. i dont do anything crazy with the truck, just drive it on the weekend most of the time, and it see's the dyno a few times a year. now what do you guys think will make more power?, the 62 will get up quicker, and have slightly more boost driving around on the street, and on the dyno, yet the 64 will have just a bit mroe air on the top end. a problem for me in the past, is the turbo just didnt seem like it was coming up well on the dyno, another reason for wanting to go to the 62 or the 64. what have you guys dynoed with your 12v's with a 62/71/13ss? did you get the turbo and wish you had gone with a 64. i just really dont know what to do, and i would like your guys input. thanks!

wes

I really love my Silver64. Its got some lag, but when it hits, man hold on.
You should check out the Silver62, I hear it spools about the same as a 64/71/14.
FWIW, I will be selling my Silver64 in about a week, if your interested, PM me.

I know Forrest dynoed 525 with a 62/71/14 with DDP4s.

I got some HX52 holsets laying around if you want to try one. IIRC they are 67/69/16 and they move a decent amount of air.

wes, is your tc tight or semi loose? i would personnally get the 64, unless you are going to go to twins one day. call lloyd he can direct you in the right direction, he knows htt turbos in and out. i really like my 62/65/13 in my twin setup.. josh

wes, is your tc tight or semi loose? i would personnally get the 64, unless you are going to go to twins one day. call lloyd he can direct you in the right direction, he knows htt turbos in and out. i really like my 62/65/13 in my twin setup.. josh

yea josh, me and Lloyd have ben talking. guys, i am not interested in any other turbo, the turbo that is on the truck, is getting built into whatever i decide, im leaning towards the 64mm compressor, i know ill have better bottom end than i do now with that combo, and i wont losse a whole lot ontop. thanks for the replies.

wes

I dont think your bottom end will be any faster with the 71mm turbine over the 65mm even though you'll loose 2-4mm on the compressor. 71 is slower but will be cooler @WOT. If you truck is just a daily driver and dont race/pull really go with the 62/71/13.

And you will gain some top end with it I bet instead of losing any 65mm turbines really choke down heavy fueled trucks

Back