63/67/9 he351??

rjustman

I've been reading every thread I can find on making these turbos more than what they were designed to be. there are a few guys who have stuffed a 70x64 turbine wheel and 76x64 turbine wheel into these things. all from what I have seen keep the 60mm comp wheel.

I've seen what the turbos look like after the machine work has been done to the exhaust housing and have seen how close to the waste gate the 64mm wheel comes.. I've also heard of people being very weary about it. is it because the guys doing it are afraid of making two holes one big hole?? or is there a cause for concern in just machining into where the waste gate is in general.. only reason I ask is everyone I have seen machines into the side of the exhaust housing, what would be the problem with doing the same on the wastage side??

I understand people drill the waste gates out to 1" for better use of the gate but if you are opening up the entire exhaust side would this be totally necessary anymore? with a bigger exhaust side in my mind you wouldn't need such a big waste gate anymore.. am I thinking wrong on this?

the reasons for the questions is I just purchased ( for a very good price) and exhaust housing and a compressor housing. besides putting the exhaust side on the lathe and opening it up to 64 or 67 whatever it turns out to be what else is needed? I've read guy aren't opening up the side closest to the cartridge because the new turbine wheels already fit. and as for the compressor side I was looking at BAE's website and see they offer a 63/99 compressor wheel.. anyone ever tried to use this or have any expertise on the matter?? I've seen Tmoney comment about putting a 63mm wheel in another members turbo, is this the one he speaks of? or is it something different?

I do not plan on doing work myself but I have access to a complete machine shop with a lot of highly talented machinists who are willing to work for free, beer, or even just the company and having someone to BS with after work..id also like to keep this going from start to finish with pictures and exactly what was needed to get it done.. I know the question arises as to why.. well im looking to tinker, and add power of course, and big factor is I don't have the money to spend on bigger turbo.. I'm on a bigger budget and bigblue and his junker project:).

thanks for any input, insight, or comments, good or bad..

im surprised also.. im getting ready to order the wheels so I guess well see if its even possible. After reading a post that Weston commented on I think I might be going with the 76/64 turbine wheel. I run twins and unless im reading it wrong it would be best to keep the comp inlet and turbine outlet as close to the same size as possible on the turbos. so im going to try and do that with this. 63/99 comp wheel and 76/64 turbine.

bae seems pretty confident that the 76/67 wheel will fit in the exhaust housing.. that's where the whole idea came from in the first place was after a phone call to them to get s stock turbine wheel for my he351.

Yeah,I seen his thread and the turbo I am building now will be similar with the exception of a 62mm comp wheel.I also have another exhaust housing I picked up for 20 bucks I'm going to have bored out to 69mm to fit a 67mm turbine,just for sh!ts and giggles..it looks like it'll be way into the wastegate though and if that's the case it may either need reworked or blocked and used with an external gate..either way machine work is free and the housing was only 20 bucks so I wanna see how it looks..

I've been working so,much lately I'm starting to forget what my family looks like but when our outage settles I'll post up pics and stuff..

I had mine cut to 66mm for my 64 turbine. The edge of the opening is touching the gate hole, so that seems to be the biggest that'll fit with a working gate. I looked at the 67 turbine but I couldn't see how to keep the gate and make it fit. You could maybe weld it up and then machine it though. If you're a good enough welder to weld the cast housing. I'm not lol.

have any pics? mine was opened up to 66mm also but it wasnt in the gate hole, just into the very outter edge of the puck.. i didnt know if maybe half mooning the puck and not opening up the gate hole to the 1" that we commonly do with these turbos would work or just do what you said and have a welder weld up the hole all together and run an external gate.. it will all just be for fun. i have two complete turbos and an extra set of comp and exhaust housings.. going from 66 to 69mm is only 1.5 mm per side, which would be roughly .037 correct? 1MM equals 25.4 thou correct?

im probably waaay off on my thinking this is all trail and error so well see

Mine was drilled to 1 inch, I forgot that's not the stock size. With a stock gate it may actually fit.

yeah i dont know if ill be shooting myself in the foot but ill do the boring then worry about wastegate. ill do as much opening as i can and blending in the plenum to help but try not to over due it. another concern is the wall thickness on the housing i dont know how much i can safely take out of it and not make it to weak.

Back