63-68 .91 t4 what are people getting from this setup

meatball

I'm running this as a single . Mods are, 215 benched maxed at 600cc plate set half way . 63-68 .91 non gated , Ddp 4's , 4k's , studs and o rings, timing at 22*. air dog at pressure set from factory. Built suncoast race trans manual vb .

I see about 10 psi at 75mph I've been able to hit 60psi . Since the timing bump I've had hard initial starts( I live in the Bay Area of California temps have been 70-80* ambient ) . Hot restarts are fine The truck feels strong down low and through the mid range but feels like it levels out ,even though boost keeps climbing until I reach max rpm.
I previously ran a 62-65-12 gated at 16.5* timing. it would cruise at hardly any boost and pull strong but fall on its face up top . I chalked this up to the turbo and the fact I was running out of air.

I'm wondering if other people's trucks are running the same way ?

In the mean time I'm going to set the timing back down to pinned at 16.5 and order the spring for my airdog to raise psi to 40.
I have hardly any smoke as compared to the 62 I was running , I'm thinking timing and lack of lift pump pressure is the culprit . I expected more from this turbo , I'm thinking other issues are to blame . ?

Says plate is set half way? With that big of a turbine, I'd add a little more fuel and fine tune the bottom end to compensate for the top end adjustment. I think the plate only being half way is whats hurting it. And depending on what plate is being ran will dictate how much rack limit there is on the top end as well.

I'll bump the plate forward and see how it acts the pump was maxed at northeast I'm not exactly sure what the plate is ,when I spoke to them they never specified .to my understanding kevin cuts his own plates .
I never pulled the afc, I was happy with how it ran when the 62 was on it, it just felt like I ran out of turbo .the only thing I did was minor tuning and swap the 5k's for 4k's .. The 5's were to temperamental to get dialed in for a street truck , they fueled hard but would hang above idle no matter how I set them . Thanks for the replies , I'll bump the plate and report back .
Cory

Keep in mind, when tuning a truck its not always about compressor side that will be the tuning factor. Driving that bigger housing, even with the smallish 68 wheel, on the top end will take more fuel and timing than the 62 required.

I hear you .but I am able to spin it to 60 psi pretty effortlessly as it sits. That's telling me that there's fuel to spin it and keep it spinning .
. it again just feels like its lacking top end maybe rack travel is being limited . At 22* timing wot should retard around 4* and bring me in the 18* ballpark .

That depends on what BAR the injectors are set at as well. And if I remember correctly the retard notches only affect timing once the rack moves past 19mm of rack travel. Can't remember for sure though.

My 2000 year old banks probe took a dump so I have an auto meter on order. No egt's as of now .
I benched the afc . almost no pre boost ,set the star to full foot travel at 20lbs . Bumped the plate forward about 3/4 of full travel ,also slid the housing from the rear , forward about an 1/8th in.
Feels stronger on the top end not as strong as I hoped , same through low and mid . way to much smoke at wot ill have to pull some fuel out . It runs strong and the truck is fast, boost is instant as well ....I just want it faster lol

With the 62 -65-12 it felt choked up and it always got hot quick with that charger on it . This 63 feels like its letting the motor breathe a lot better and when spooling it feels just as fast as the 62. I'm making more boost through the rpm range and while cruising , the 63 feels more linear the the 62 . I was hoping for more up top though .
next step is play with the timing and hopefully by then ill have a new egt gauge .

Or maybe sell my kidney and put a 480 under it

Anyone else running this charger care to share some of your thoughts on it ?

I have the same charger sitting on the shelf. I just need to find the time to put it on now. Anything Im going to run into during the install?

No I didn't have any issues with the install .let me know what you think about it .

Back