64 or 66 turbo

ctd12valve95

well going to be buying my turbo on payday, still undecided,want the power capabilities of the 66, but dont want to lose streetability, want about 700hp on a single, but still want it to be a fun truck to drive on the street, will the 64 get me to my hp goal, or should i go with the 66

well going to be buying my turbo on payday, still undecided,want the power capabilities of the 66, but dont want to lose streetability, want about 700hp on a single, but still want it to be a fun truck to drive on the street, will the 64 get me to my hp goal, or should i go with the 66

If you mean you want 700whp on a single you're going to have to make compromises. I've said it a few times that a manual shifter for the auto would be one of the biggest keys to having fun with a a big single and is something i'm still going back and forth with myself. Shifting the truck even with my current 62 is a blast. I may have something else in the planning stages though which would certainly require manually shifting my auto for fun street driving. A 64 or 66mm s300 maybe a bit small if that's your hp goal. If 700 crank is the goal then they may be the ticket for you.

is the 66 a good turbo for the 12v, i see people making close to 650 with a 64, and not much more with a 66

is the 66 a good turbo for the 12v, i see people making close to 650 with a 64, and not much more with a 66

Some have reported the 64/71 works better than a 66/71. I have experience with neither. Everything is relative and bound by physics; I bring this up as i've seen some HP claims which don't reflect track times which to me are far more important unless you plan to paste a copy of your dyno sheet across your windshield lmao:hehe:

Newbies and wild ideas...gotta love it! LOL
Hey, I'm gonna do something people have been trying to do for 10 years, I bet I'll find some magic combination of existing parts that will give me a very streetable, smooth, cool, fuel only 700hp 12v with a single! Yall just aren't asking the right questions to find the magic combo...LOL

Maybe the OP just needs a SilverBullet:hehe::hehe:

ok i dont know alot about the 12v, i had a 24v with a 64, then went twins ,i no that i cant have it all with a single, just wanting to have some feedback from people who run these turbos,dont need all the bashing, just looking for a little help, thanks

ok i dont know alot about the 12v, i had a 24v with a 64, then went twins ,i no that i cant have it all with a single, just wanting to have some feedback from people who run these turbos,dont need all the bashing, just looking for a little help, thanks

We're not bashing...it's just the Comp-D way of jolting you into reality! LOL
700hp is quite a stretch for a 12v on a single charger if you're talking about rwhp. If you're talking about crank hp, which no one does in this age of dyno ninjas and lazers and chit, you'll be working overtime to get it accomplished on a single charger without drugs.

i run a 66 on my 12 valve and spoolup isn't SUPER slow, its smoky on the bottom end though, i dont see 700 HP happening on a single because with the setup in my sig i only got 552 with no water/meth

700 is going to be tough. not saying it cant be done, but curious why dont you just go for twins

the problem isnt about geting the number.. its making it streetable at that level.. that pump when calibrated correctly will be capable of making enough fuel to crack the number.. but being able to burn that fuel is different, not saying you have to be like banks and have no smoke wat so ever but some spray would help

i think im going to go with the 64 from e.d, he told me it would get me to 700 just might get a touch warm on top, and it would be more streetable and more fun to drive, and when i get the rest of the funds together it will be nice over a s480

head work, a good cam, and pump work. Then I'm sure it'll do ok with a 66 set up more towards a 12 valve... If it was just a toy and you never towed with it. I'd say go for it. What are you making right now for power? Why is 700 your goal?

I've got a 66/74/14 and its a total pig.. it shines at 50+ mph but the constant rpm and fuel required to light it gets old. The truck also has a less than ideal gear/tire combo. For the cost of gears, different injectors and a cam I'd rather invest in twins. The truck might be around 500 on a good day.

Hey, I'm gonna do something people have been trying to do for 10 years, I bet I'll find some magic combination of existing parts that will give me a very streetable, smooth, cool, fuel only 700hp 12v with a single! Yall just aren't asking the right questions to find the magic combo...LOL

Its been done on my brothers truck with a 64/71

I vote nitrous/external gate. Very limited knowledge of 12v specifics, but I do believe they aren't exactly known for high hp drivability.

I vote nitrous/external gate. Very limited knowledge of 12v specifics, but I do believe they aren't exactly known for high hp drivability.

I don't think 700 hp and drivability are easy on any truck/motor. That type of power will break plenty of parts if you don't do it right the first time.

Back