64mm over hx60?

dieseldoc09

Hey everyone I am trying to get a plan of attack ready for swapping many 12 valve into the 03 I picked up. I currently have a 64/71/12 by Industrial Injection and it lights pretty well. My converter is a little tight and am going to have it loosed up a little. My question is what would my current charger over a hx60 drive like? I have 2 hx60s currently. I measured one and the compressor measures 74x108 and the turbine is 97x86. I am not sure what the exhaust housing is though. For fuel I have 5x14 injectors and my injection pump is benched at 580cc bed by a 220 FASS at 55psi.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

It sounds like it could be a decent running setup. It may not be the most ideal configuration but its not too far out in left field. If you have it laying around and its free go for it. If anything its the lack of decent sized injectors that concerns me.

Last edited:
Anybody have any experience on what it might run like? I don't have any experience in twins other than the Cat Acert engines

The closer in size a given set of compounds are, the less it acts like a twin setup with a wide power band and the more it acts like a large single. The added restriction of the hx60 will slow the response of your 64/71/12. If you do not presently like the spool and response of your 64 then adding another turbo is not going to help things. If you want a more tow friendly low end power combo then you are going to have to get a smaller secondary turbo. The combo you are considering would make good topend but in all likelyhood you are not going to enjoy it if you are looking for a more versatile truck. My combo is a 60mm over a 75mm and the response and transition from one turbo to the other is very linear. My hp comes up very early on the dyno and doesn't taper off any more than 30 hp until after 3500rpms. I can also tow in any gear at any rpm with zero concern for egts. The spread on your turbo's lbs min wise is pretty close and I'm sure the maps overlap a bit more than most would want. The one plus side I see to your intended setup is that the hx60's are very robust and there are some killer aftermarket versions available if you build it.

Okay thanks a lot for the advice! I have thought about down sizing the 64. I have a friend that would buy it and a connection that I can get a new Garrett at wholesale price

An hx60 has an 80mm compressor wheel on it, what size is the exhaust housing and is it wastegated? I don't see how an hx60 would be too small for a 64mm secondary considering a 366/480 is a popular compound setup.

Last edited:
I am not sure what size the exhaust housing is. Is there a casting number on it somewhere that signifies what it is?

I am not sure what size the exhaust housing is. Is there a casting number on it somewhere that signifies what it is?

Holsets generally have a stamp on the housing somewhere signifying what it is. I'm pretty sure they are on the outside but you can also check inside on the exhaust volutes for a stamp. And it shouldn't need to be looked up or decoded. It should just have a simple number.

That sounds like a good size for a compound setup with a 64 secondary. I know the common ht3b setup uses a similar size primary housing.

Okay sounds good. When I do the swap and build the twins I plan on doing a cam at the same time since the engine will be out. So that will help spooling as well

An hx60 has an 80mm compressor wheel on it, what size is the exhaust housing and is it wastegated? I don't see how an hx60 would be too small for a 64mm secondary considering a 366/480 is a popular compound setup.

In the op original post he stated that he measured it out at 74mm...

If it was an 80mm inducer then i would agree that it would be a good overall setup.

Last edited:
Gman99 you are correct it does measure 74 at the inducer am and also not against putting a different compressor wheel and housing on it if that isn't too outrageous

I am good friends with the guys at Fair Valley Performance and been told they can do some good things with them

I had an hx60w off of a large cummins irrigation pump engine. It measured out to or very near 80mm inducer but definitely larger than 74 and had the same exhaust wheel as the OP. Mine has a wastegated 22cm housing. Thought about running it as a large single on my 2006 and still may one day.

A larger wheel on the hx60 would definitely spread the maps out between the two chargers and make for a more linear powerband. Depending on what all fair valley does you could have a very powerful setup when your finished. The sky is pretty much the limit with an hx60 or 80 as far as modifications.

Last edited:
Back