67 d100 body swap on 89 frame

FIRST GEN. JAKE

Well I haven't posted on compd in awhile so thought I'd start a thread on my current project. I have a 67 d100 short bed with a utility bed on it. It belonged to my granddad and I've always thought it was cool as hell and wanted to get it running. But being a slant 6 4 speed and solid front axle it was less than desirable so I decide to build it from ground up. I have an 89 d250 frame laying around so I cut and sectioned the frame to shorten it 17". Moved the back spring hangers up. Flipped front hangers. 2" drop shackles. Removed a leaf on each side. Cut one coil on the front. Try to get as low as possible for cheap. The engine I bought for $800. It's a recon 12v from a f700. Had to completely swap all the parts out on it with dodge stuff to make it work like a truck engine. The transmission i also had laying around. It came from a 92 d150. It's a new process 5 speed. Same as a nv4500. Swapped the input for a 1 1/4 shaft I had from an nv and put the nv bellhousing on it. The rear end is a d80 with 3.54 gear that I had laying around. The goal is get it driving as cheap as possible.
8d7bc00b9295a7737a8851818024428c.jpg

c44ec0fdd7935df5418640be64502770.jpg

89094eb2e2e9992bd257e09589872780.jpg

e232c2bfef2ac37c006fa90f074dbefd.jpg

a6f0501c1475032dff1fc14aa1bd4ae7.jpg

db822000cd3e925fc83f2a1991257786.jpg

3589e46f880fdcbc09a2be016f8f8723.jpg

0c39e0f8fde54b0a6161bb4dab9ab731.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub'd. I was goin to do a 12v swap in my '68 d200 but I decided to stay cheap and just throw a ls in it. Good luck with the swap sir

You must have been watching Stacey shorten frames on "Gearz"!! I like that idea of notching the frame when shortening.

That's a great project! I love that you are using the five speed. What will you use for a bed?

Sub'd. I was goin to do a 12v swap in my '68 d200 but I decided to stay cheap and just throw a ls in it. Good luck with the swap sir

Originally planned to stick the engine into the truck but having this frame laying around made it more logical to just put the body on the d250 chassis.

You must have been watching Stacey shorten frames on "Gearz"!! I like that idea of notching the frame when shortening.

Yes sir. I've seen several people do it different ways. I remember a episode of trucks they shortened a c10 this way. Seems to be the best way to do it and keep it strong. I had originally planned to fish plate the outside and then box the inner. But with the cross member being there I just decided to make that trapezoid shaped plate to go inside to give me more surface area to weld. Also put a strap across the bottom and welded it that's not in the picture.

That's a great project! I love that you are using the five speed. What will you use for a bed?

I plan to use the utility bed and keep the truck looking just like it is. The bed is steel with a fiberglass top. It has two doors on the back which open and has big sliding drawers you can pull out. It's full of old electrical and plumbing supplies right now.

I like it a lot!!! I wanted to do a 12v swap in a old truck when I sold my dmax, then the drag truck was for sale and I couldn't resist. The rest will be history...

I've got like 3 truck builds going on at once so this is my super budget build lol

Not to high jack your thread but do you know the specific dimensions on your rims Jake? Off set, backspacing, width and diameter.

Not to high jack your thread but do you know the specific dimensions on your rims Jake? Off set, backspacing, width and diameter.

The ones on the 93 are 20x12 -44 offset. I sold those though. It'll be on some new shoes once it's back in action.

The ones on the 93 are 20x12 -44 offset. I sold those though. It'll be on some new shoes once it's back in action.

Those stick out just a tiny bit too far for my taste but they are very close to what i want. Those are about 2 inches outside the body arent they?

Those stick out just a tiny bit too far for my taste but they are very close to what i want. Those are about 2 inches outside the body arent they?

They don't stick out a lot on a first gen. Not as much as on my 06 anyways. But they do a little bit.

I was goin to try and find a rclb 2nd gen and just do a body swap but I couldn't find one cheap enough anywhere so I said the heck with it haha. I could have a turbo ls for less than I could've just bought a 12v motor for

I was goin to try and find a rclb 2nd gen and just do a body swap but I couldn't find one cheap enough anywhere so I said the heck with it haha. I could have a turbo ls for less than I could've just bought a 12v motor for

I paid $800 for this engine from a friend so I have hardly nothing in this build. I did go buy a brand new miller 211 welder though so that cost me about $900 lol

Back