68rfe forced lockup

AHall

Hobbyist
Is there any options on getting into lockup sooner? My 14 ram pulls great when in lockup and rolling into the throttle. When at a stop, rpms flash and the truck accelerates slowly. I don't believe it even locks up to 70mph or so. The track is open and I'd like to make a few passes.

Put a tighter stall in, you will be very pleased!

This was the step I was kinda leaning toward. May be worth doing the transgo shift kit while the tranny is out.

This was the step I was kinda leaning toward. May be worth doing the transgo shift kit while the tranny is out.

My investigation seems that the revmax has a VB that will go up in line pressure. Just need the tuning to go with. I haven't dug in enough to see what line pressures are safe.

With transmission tuning they can lock it up when you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best and easiest solution on this has been the button shifter. I know Revmax used to make a lockup VB aswell as RJP on here made a lockup switch, the problem is the holding line pressure. I'd personally wouldn't ever touch a Revmax 68 mainly because of who they use to tune it, but I've seen too many fails with their overpriced parts.

I'd look into at minimum a triple disc 1800 stall suncoast converter and billet flex plate. Then the tuning can be tweaked, but do not exceed 200psi commanded pressure. Just always remember though the buttons are the 68s best friend!

200psi line pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. There's no one manufacturing a non oem pump for the 68rfe, and machining one like Revmax doesnt protect the lifespin of the pump. Running line psi excessively can cause premature wear on the pump thats designed to operate at 160 max.

Theres been alot of R&D in this area and all comp68s are recommended to top at that aswell.

Yes. There's no one manufacturing a non oem pump for the 68rfe, and machining one like Revmax doesnt protect the lifespin of the pump. Running line psi excessively can cause premature wear on the pump thats designed to operate at 160 max.

Theres been alot of R&D in this area and all comp68s are recommended to top at that aswell.

Hmm. Mines set at 225 on my comp68, and I believe Revmax requires there's there as well.

Hmm. Mines set at 225 on my comp68, and I believe Revmax requires there's there as well.

Call Ernie at Suncoast(the mastermind of the 68). Great guy and,just ask what they recommend. I had mine set to 220, and needless to say the godfather spoke and I listened lol. It's banging away like a happy little soldier handling the load I put it on without missing a beat. When I did my filters and fluid about 1k ago I had no material at all on the mag-hytec plug. Fluid was not pretty, but i was expecting that with all the stop and go driving I do.

Side note only Mopar ATF+4 ever.

Last edited:
Hardway recommends to not mess with getting an earlier lockup. It was suggested to keep the input shaft happy.

Hardway recommends to not mess with getting an earlier lockup. It was suggested to keep the input shaft happy.

Right! Early lock up was tried year ago and its a fast death. Even Phil with Anarchy warns ppl that request it.

The only way I know how to do it and make it happy is to put the selector in third and smash the throttle. As soon as you get RPMs shift to fourth and it will lock. That's how I used to sled pull with mine. Drag racing is another story and I usually lost a lot of E.T. reduction when using it.

If anything I'd go with revmax valve body and the transmission tuning that they recommend. Even though their website says H&S overdrive software the 68's are not tuned with H&S

I have a Revmax vb and stg. 5 converter with Anarchy 225 line pressure tuning and 2nd gear lockup with tow/haul engaged and it has been great, I only use the 2nd gear lockup when towing or sled pulling it is very aggressive for daily driving.

Back