68rfe lockup

307diesel

built 6.7
As the title states I need to be able to lock the torque converter, though I only need it in first gear. We are looking for another truck to put a bale bed on and prefer a manual transmission, but we are having a hard time finding one without lots of miles or within a decent driving distance of Southwest Wyoming. If there is a transmission controller out there that will do this, that would be awesome. Everything I have found is for shift enhancement, but that is not what we need. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. One thing to note is it has to be an available product because our current feed truck just got wrecked and I do not have much time to wait to get another one put together. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Why do you need to lock the convertor? Would just a tight stall work?

I need a positive engagement for feeding on unlevel terrain, when I have loose round bales I fork them off. I do not have a driver and with all these irrigation ditches in the fields that usually stop an automatic, I need it to drive through them so it doesn't take all day to feed. I would rather an auto but for what we do with it, it's not the best.

Last edited:
I need a positive engagement for feeding on unlevel terrain, when I have loose round bales I fork them off. I do not have a driver and with all these irrigation ditches in the fields that usually stop an automatic, I need it to drive through them so it doesn't take all day to feed. I would rather an auto but for what we do with it, it's not the best.

Could you rig up a hand throttle from the bed?

Any video's? This sounds like it'd be tough to manage!

If you have 4x4 using low range may do it, or one of the wiring guys here could do a diagram so you could manipulate the throttle voltage with a knob from the bed..

Manuals are sure nice for this....but make sure there are no trees around like my buddy found out. LOL

I would guess that 4x4low range should creep you along.

Is there an "idle up" trick with the cruise control buttons on these trucks? I tried it this weekend and couldn't make it work like we could on the older 2nd gens.

There is a idle up with the cruise, but the ECM is at the least going to need to see park or neutral to allow it

Not to derail the OP, but can you tell us how to idle up in Park or Neutral please?

Be sure to limit it to first gear because if it comes upon a slight downhill it WILL shift and take off. Throwing your azz off the back leaving you chasing a truck through the pasture :hehe: Had a buddy find this out LOL

Not to derail the OP, but can you tell us how to idle up in Park or Neutral please?

Press top left button then bottom left button(on then set). All auto trucks can idle up but the dealer needs to enable the feature in the ECM, or you can use a programmer to enable the feature.

A truck with an auto and two round bales on the back will not drive itself even in low range unless the torque converter can be locked. It will run away down hill but will not crawl through small ditches or go slightly up hill. In western Wyoming there is not much flat ground and lots of sage brush to drive through. Most of the time we don't need to be on the back feeding by hand, but anyone that's unrolled a bale that only went about 50' will understand why.

Suncoast and revmax have built lock up valve bodies. I just sold one a few months ago. Lock up in any gear. Last I talked to revmax they don't build them anymore.

Since there is nothing out there to help in my situation, I kept looking for a truck with a g56. I finally found one and it arrived last night.

The only reason for looking into this was that I was having trouble finding one in decent time. We are turning out cows on the desert on Tuesday, so I didn't have forever to get something put together. We know the g56 will do it perfectly, they are just few and far between in used 4th gen trucks in a decent driving distance.

Back