68rfe slow shift into gear when cold.

FuelishDesire

Lifelong skeptic.
I'm looking for some technical insights on my 68rfe shifting behavior. A general search didn't bring anything up on my specific issue (and I may have missed something too).

I've got a 2008 completely stock 68rfe in my truck. On two separate occasions, after the truck was cold/cool and had been sitting for a long period of time - first incident it hadn't moved or been started in a month, second instance it hadn't moved or started in a week - it was slow to shift into gear from park. I'm estimating it took 1.5 seconds to shift into gear when normally it feels like an instantaneous shift. I don't notice any other issues with shift performance, no faults either. It doesn't do this all the time. Oil looks clean and at the appropriate level. There is 70,000 miles on the truck/engine/trans, and about 35,000 miles on the transmission oil if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm not a transmission guru, so it wouldn't surprise me if I am overlooking something simple. Let me know what you think I should be looking for.

It could be the seal where the sump filter inserts into the oil inlet fitting. Its worth a check, also or the screw on filter in the pan is working lose and the torque converter is losing prime. My screw on filter fell off in the trans pan before.

That's a good idea and it's something easy to check out when I drop the pan. Is there anything else I can or should be looking at while the pan is off?

I always check for metal shavings, it common to see the fiber from the clutches but they shouldn't be excessive in my experience. I change my fluid and filters every 12 thousand miles for the warranty through ATS. I have yet to see any metal shaving in the pan or very minimal stuck to the magnate on the drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer wix filters my self but to each his own.9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have similar problem but on the other end of the spectrum. Once i run my truck for a while, towing or not towing, the trans temp is around 168-170 *F, the shifts from P to D or Rev are very hard. Almost like it slams into Dr. or Rev. It's similar to parking a truck on an incline and then shifting it from P to D or Rev. Anyone every experienced this or have any ideas on why this is happening?

Ran DTC and came up with P0868 transmission fluid pressure low. I plan on changing the filter and see if that changes anything. Anybody have any issues with this before?

Sounds like it's loosing prime somewhere, especially if it only happens after it's been sitting. Just let it sit in neutral for a minute after long periods of time with no driving.

Back