7.3 power combos

diesel73yfz450

Anybody on here running a 7.3 with 250/200s what turbo you running? I'm thinking a s468fmw or a s467.7 anybody running this setup? How is it on the street? How about towing? How's the turbo spool? Looking to make up my mind which way to go!!
So what's ur guys thoughts and opinions?

Powerstroke 7.3 work in progress !!!! Yfz450 intake exhaust jets + lots of other goodies!!!
Vw jetta tdi straight piped 55 mpgs!!

Since noone else has offered any information up, I have 238/100s with an 66mm cast wheel turbo. Under normal driving conditions it is a little lazy until the turbo lites. About like driving a stock truck around until it makes boost. If I had it to do over again I would probably put a better cam in it, just to help take some of the lag out of it. Only problem I have is that on long hills, if the rpm are 2300 + and hold there the truck doesnt loose any speed, once it starts dropping below that rpm it drops pretty fast. I tow in the wide open tune and may get to 1300* on a hot day, but again I think a cam would help.

I'm just running a standard 38R with 250/200's. Fueling dialed back to keep the PMR's alive. Street manners are like a stock truck when I want it. When towing this thing is a beast, even at high altitude. I don't have any smoke or EGT issues. Been running these injectors for almost 3 years now.

250/200's are a good all around injector IF AND ONLY IF the tuning is right. Fueling needs to be dialed back in the lower RPM range to keep it running clean and smoke free. There's only a handful of tuners that have really nailed down these injectors for good street/towing/daily driving manners.

Only sacrifice I've seen other than getting the tuning dialed in is the idle quality. It idles like a slightly rough OBS truck. Nothing bad, just not completely as smooth as I'd like. It's my fault though, I'm just a novice tuner tinkering with my own truck.

All good information thanks guys I can't seem to get many responses on this I have asked on a few sites. I go up big long hills in the mountains on my way to western md. And that's my biggest concern. Sometime with a trailer full of quads and a loaded truck!

Powerstroke 7.3 work in progress !!!! Yfz450 intake exhaust jets + lots of other goodies!!!

I am running 300/200 with the 468 hands down love the turbo. Ran it a while with a set of 238/100 was a damn fun setup. Made my modded h2e feel like a stocker. Spools fast and pulls hard! Definitely steerable. And makes short work of tires doesn't really matter what gear your in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's what I want to hear. My buddy was trying to say that's too much turbo for those sticks but I guess not if you ran 238s with them.

I ran 300/200s with a 38r and then with a 468 was a sweet setup. Spooled just about as fast as the 38r but hit alottt harder on top. 250s will be sufficient fuel for that turbo you will like that setup. Pick your tuner well my old setup proved to much for my forged motor granted I was never easy on it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice I'm still unsure how big I'm going may go up to 300s or down to 238s so I can worry less and drive harder still kind of tossed up thinking 250s tho cus there right in the middle with 100 or 200 percents. Would 100vpercent nozzles help hold it togther

Thanks for the advice I'm still unsure how big I'm going may go up to 300s or down to 238s so I can worry less and drive harder still kind of tossed up thinking 250s tho cus there right in the middle with 100 or 200 percents. Would 100vpercent nozzles help hold it togther

Tuning is what holds it together, doesn't matter nozzle size. You can do the same amount of damage with any sized nozzle given enough fuel at the wrong time.

With a 250 I'd do a 200% nozzle. That S468 is a good match for 250 - 300 cc injectors. If I went back down to a street setup a 250/200 with a 468, gtx4294r or gtx4094r would be my choice. Would be a mean street truck with pretty quick spooling and pretty big power up top. Tuning will play a big roll in reliability.

What year truck do you have? A lot of what you do will depend on whether you have forged or PMR rods.

I have a 2001 haven't pulled the inspection plug yet but if I do have pmrs I'll be getting a forged rod long block for my build. Serial numbers suggest pmrs tho.

There's a huge aftermarket world for 7.3s feels like I find new parts everyday when I search!!

you will get a lot of ford haters on here but there is a lot of good info out there. for a street truck I wouldn't go any bigger then a 300/200 and a 468. remember you will have to do all the supporting mods to run this setup run happily. these are all need to do things to support that setup- t4 mount and setup, ( I personally run irates and would recommend them), fully upgraded fuel system, bigger hpop, valve springs and push rods, head studs, good tuner, and upgrade your auto tranny or clutch, it all ads up in a hurry my friend. trust me I know!!
good luck with your build

you can also find a lot of great info on powerstrokearmy.com

Already have a bts built tranny full fuel system and a good tuner need hpop and studs and all that good stuff but I'm pretty sure I have pmrs so motor swap! It does add up very quickly!

Back