7.3 powerstroke excursion? should i buy?

crewcabxlt

have a lot of cummins experience, drive a 78 ford cummins powered and love it. but im looking at a 2000 excursion for a family vehicle/ grocery getter for wife. love to put a cummins in one but too burned out on building stuff from ground-up. i dont think the 7.3 is a anything to be embarrased about. i know they can perform and last really well. looking for advice on buying a 2000 w/150k mile a new trans and rebuilt turbo + a 6.0 intake ? looks clean and well cared for. also turbo is rebuilt but otherwise stock. what should i worry about? real world fuel economy? what about running well filtered 50 % waste motore oil ? what programmer for a little more power + economy? any help appreciated. thanks.

I love my EX. WMO will run higher EGT's so you will want to watch that. We have a fleet of 7.3' and some are getting closer to the million mile marker. It is all in the way that the truck was taken car of. I had hybrids in it for a while and the trans was starting to slip so I am changing plans, but you will be happy with a well maintained 7.3!

I had a 2000 Excursion. No problems, ran a TS 6pos, cold air and SS 4" Exhaust, Suncoast Trans/Converter. Would run high 14's all day long. My 2000 even had the forged rods like the OBS and Early Superutys. Might check for this, it's always a ++

Normal town/highway, I got about 17.5mpg, on a good interstate run, 21 wasn't out of the question.

I like mine alot and have had it for about 6 years. Just rolled over 206k and this past weekend took a little road trip and got 23mpg on the highway with just an edge juice.

We love ours! Family truck. ts 6pos, straight pipe, intake, highway- 18-22, towing 24ft enclosed with race car- 11mpg

I had a 2000 Excursion. No problems, ran a TS 6pos, cold air and SS 4" Exhaust, Suncoast Trans/Converter. Would run high 14's all day long. My 2000 even had the forged rods like the OBS and Early Superutys. Might check for this, it's always a ++

Normal town/highway, I got about 17.5mpg, on a good interstate run, 21 wasn't out of the question.

What size injectors and turbo was in it?

guys, please pardon my ignorance but I am also considering purchasing an EX for the same reasons as the OP. We just had a child, grandma (my mom) lives with us and we've got enough animals to start a farm with, the jetta and my always broken 6.7 cummins isn't quite cutting it anymore

I'm looking for a 2wd 7.3 ex to clean up and turn it loose with the wife, maybe even haul my dodge around to a race or three

what do I need to look for (i'm ford stupid) and is the 2wd excursions IFS up front? Is it anything like the IFS I had back in my 86 F250 (twin Ibeam stuff)??

If well maintained, is 100k on the odo anything to worry about?

thanks guys, remember before you respond, I know less than nothing about the power-strokes, only that the 7.3 is somewhat legendary in terms of reliablity

guys, please pardon my ignorance but I am also considering purchasing an EX for the same reasons as the OP. We just had a child, grandma (my mom) lives with us and we've got enough animals to start a farm with, the jetta and my always broken 6.7 cummins isn't quite cutting it anymore

I'm looking for a 2wd 7.3 ex to clean up and turn it loose with the wife, maybe even haul my dodge around to a race or three

what do I need to look for (i'm ford stupid) and is the 2wd excursions IFS up front? Is it anything like the IFS I had back in my 86 F250 (twin Ibeam stuff)??

If well maintained, is 100k on the odo anything to worry about?

thanks guys, remember before you respond, I know less than nothing about the power-strokes, only that the 7.3 is somewhat legendary in terms of reliablity

I don't know about the 2wd. However, I would stick to the 2000. They (check the serial number just in case) had forged rods. Mine had 106 on the clock when I got it. I put hybrids, custom tunes, intake, exhaust and fuel system and the damn thing did 9 flat in the 1/8th at 78 mph on 35" mud grapps bucking like a bronc the first 60'. I beat the crap out of it, and its still kicking. I love my truck, and as long as it was taken care of 100k is nothing.

awesome! I'm looking for something I can trade my wife's jetta in on, save some cash and haul some sh*t!

dallas from suncaost is trying to talk me into a 6.0.... i'm not feeling it.

I have a 2001 EX 7.3 4x4 and I love it. It wanders really bad but i think thats just the ball joints

love my 2000 ex. I think my wife would get rid of me before giving up her excursion.

I always wanted one, not sure at the cost of my dodge though. there was a really nice 2000 EX 4x4 with around 80k miles. problem is they were asking 28k for it... no way id pay anything close to that for a 10 year old truck.

I always wanted one, not sure at the cost of my dodge though. there was a really nice 2000 EX 4x4 with around 80k miles. problem is they were asking 28k for it... no way id pay anything close to that for a 10 year old truck.

You think that is bad, a month or so ago there was one some where out west with few thousand miles on it. It sold for something like 60-70 thousand. I love my truck, but even with zero miles I would not pay a third of that.

update: ended up buying this 02 from the original owner, limited edition -perfect cond. very guttless in stock form. looking for cheap power upgrades now ! my wife loves it and i like it better the more i drive it, the 99 sold before i made a move.

Attachments

• P1020463.JPG
    P1020463.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
Back