7.3 turbo advice?

edgerat

I know nothing about Ferd turbles and I have a buddy that needs some help so educate me if you would... :) He has an 03 with a ts-chip, exhaust and intake, he tows a 6x14' enclosed trailer for work 5 days a week that is loaded with construction equipment, i.e. 12 skil saws, 12 nail guns, two compressors, ladders , hoses and what not. He also tows a 30' toy hauler to the sand dunes. he is having a heck of a time getting his temps down, my thought was one of the turbonetics intercooler, turbo combos as I have heard some wavering stories about the garrett and their reliability.
Thanks!!!
isaac

what kind of boost is he running? Boost leaks can drive your egt's up and are relatively common. Other than that, yeah, the turbonetics IC's are great quality, along with the turbo they have great customer support. They've got a ball bearing turbo out now too to add yet another option to the table.

he doesn't have a boost leak or a boost gauge for that matter just yet, this is the first diesel that he has had that he modified a bit with the chip and what not so he is coming along slowly with the mods. He pulled the 30' toy hauler fully loaded at about 11,500 and only saw 1200 pulling a long hill and pouring the fuel to it so its alright it just needs to be better ;)

If he doesn't have a boost guage, then how does he know he doesn't have a boost leak?

oldschoolPSD said:
If he doesn't have a boost guage, then how does he know he doesn't have a boost leak?

That's what i was wondering. Also, if he's pushing his truck that hard and only seeing 1200, that is absolutely fine. Anything under 1250 is perfectly safe for the truck, and the more heat you put to the turbo, the harder the turbo can work for you.

NOW, the big question. . .is the probe pre-turbo, or post-turbo? If it's post, you are way overheating that truck, if it's pre, youre fine and i'd run it all day like that.

A turbo and intercooler will help, but it's not necessary if hes not breaking 1250.

I am not new when it comes to this stuff just don't know much about what works well on fords, I guess i will figure it out on my own.

edgerat said:
I am not new when it comes to this stuff just don't know much about what works well on fords, I guess i will figure it out on my own.

Sorry, for a minute i could swear i was talking to the girlfriend. :hehe:

Don't gotta get your panties in a wad, we're just trying to help diagnose the problem or determine if there is one. We have no idea what your background is so please don't get offended if we start with the basics. If you don't have a boost leak (and it's pretty difficult to know for sure what is going on if you don't have a boost guage, which is what raised a flag and caused us to take a step back) then it sounds like everything is working like it should and you need a turbo and intercooler. The other thing that can cause higher egts is if the nozzle spring breaks and lets some unmetered fuel into the engine. Nozzle springs break a lot, i see it on about every other set of injectors i pull apart. And don't take the low post count the wrong way, I only have time to post on so many forums, i'm sick of the politics on the one i frequent so i'm getting involved in some less moderated forums. Good luck in your conquest, let us know what you find out.:Cheer:

Back