7.3L Injector/Turbo Build Options

DieselHardware

Ok...thought I'd post this up over here since there is a different group around here than there is on a couple other sites I'm on.

I'm hoping for injectors by March, not sure I'll be able to change out the turbo then(currently a 38R), but looking at the ultimate end goal. I am looking for 500-550hp reliable(little back pressure as possible). My truck is a DD and I race it on the track as regularly as possible. I do tow with the truck, but its not a regular thing at the moment. I want to make sure whatever I do is going to be towable, even if major detuning is required for towing.

Current Setup: I have the fuel system and twin HPOPs so I can support any injector. I'm currently running a 38R. Since I've already got the twin HPOPs, I'm seriously considering a set of stock B-codes with 100% nozzles and a larger single. Offer up your thoughts on which single and if you think there is a good setup available for those injectors with a 38R as part of a compound setup. Yes....I'm running stock bottom end with forged rods. Trans is not an issue either. You can tell me if you think I'm off the rocker on the injectors too.....

Last edited:
You can get to 500+ with the 38r, but it might get a little toasty. I think the ideal setup would be a set of 250/100's and a modified H2E or maybe an s300 series turbo with a t4 mount setup. I would also recommend going ahead and doing studs and valve springs while you're at it. 500-550 on the forged roads should be good to go!!

Definitely planning on the studs and valve springs. I know 500 is doable with the 38R, but I don't like the reliability factor with the amount of back pressure that will be seen with a 38R.

What about that beans d66 dominator direct bolt on?? They claim it flows 1000cfm or more? I was thinking about that one.

We have a few D66's on superduty's, you just have to custom tune them so they won't surge.

Not to interrupt the thread but how does the d66 perform? What's your setup? PM me if you want

Iff your looking for "bang for your buck" then 38r with a set of 250/100s

If your looking for the power i'd go with a 300/200 with a 38r/s4 compound or a single s4 on a t4 pedistal.

I prefer Full Force (Cass) for injectors.

Compounds aren't out of the question, but definitely have to weigh the cost. As for injectors, the only thing I won't do is buy hybrids. I already have big oil, and if I need more fuel than a stroked A code can supply(225CC+/-) then I will go to B-codes for the simple fact of hybrids are the slowest injector out there.

then I will go to B-codes for the simple fact of hybrids are the slowest injector out there.

Not true.

Hybrids aren't "slow". In fact, a comparable hybrid with the same nozzle as a B-code will outperform a B-code at higher RPM's. You will get more fuel and higher injection pressures with hybrids as RPM's climb than you will with any comparable B-code.

At lower RPM's, a B-code will shine.

Simply put, it has everything to do with oil. Just because your HPOP is providing "X" amount of oil pressure, doesn't mean that's the same amount of pressure maintained throughout the entire injection event INSIDE the injector itself.

Compounds aren't out of the question, but definitely have to weigh the cost. As for injectors, the only thing I won't do is buy hybrids. I already have big oil, and if I need more fuel than a stroked A code can supply(225CC+/-) then I will go to B-codes for the simple fact of hybrids are the slowest injector out there.

LMAO do some more research

Not true.

Hybrids aren't "slow". In fact, a comparable hybrid with the same nozzle as a B-code will outperform a B-code at higher RPM's. You will get more fuel and higher injection pressures with hybrids as RPM's climb than you will with any comparable B-code.

At lower RPM's, a B-code will shine.

Simply put, it has everything to do with oil. Just because your HPOP is providing "X" amount of oil pressure, doesn't mean that's the same amount of pressure maintained throughout the entire injection event INSIDE the injector itself.

You said it exactly....for a DD, what difference does it make if more fuel is available up high? Like I mentioned, I race on the weekends, but this is a DD/occasional tow rig. Fuel in the upper RPMs isn't as important as the fuel down low. One thing I haven't seen is anyone mention at what RPM the b-code falls off and the hybrid takes over. I would like to drive a truck with hybrids as that is one thing I haven't done yet. I have driven a truck with a 38R and b-codes and it pulled hard all the way through the RPM band.

LMAO do some more research

I've been doing lots of reading...obviously there is something specific you are thinking of so why not just say it? As for the speed, I guess it all depends on who you talk to...Like Pocket mentioned the b-codes are better down low which is more important to me than top end fuel.

238/100 Hybrids
T4 mount
GQSSB

If you care more about top end power, and are willing to sacrifice some idle resolution, cold temp idle haze, then 200% nozzles can be very streetable and tow........

If you're OK with 475-525 hp, and care more about DD/towing and the qualities I listed above, and less about the dyno number, then 100% nozzles would be my vote for your truck.

Tuning will play a large role in how a 200% nozzle injector will run for you at times other than WOT. It certainly can/is done....might take a couple tuning attempts though.

My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Back