727 Trans rebuild

cumminz90

Cant leave um alone
Im new two the transmision game :bangand am lookinking for some one to lead me in the right direction on how to get my trans to hold sum power i was told if i get some of the heavy duty clutches and steels and a steel planetary for this trans i shouldnt have to worry about much else my power goal i have in mind is roughly 800 ft lbs of tourque but i would like to room to grow any body with any knowledge or experience would help me out a great deal. :bow:

Forgot to add this trucks mostly going to be a daily driver and may go to the track occassionally also every once in a while it tows a trailer if there is anything else im forgettin please feel free to ask

i have been pondering on swaping one of them in but how much diference is that extra gear make as far as speed wise

If you're a 2wd and can't go bigger on tires without looking funny, the extra gear will help a lot. If you don't plan on going over about 85mph, then I'd stick with the 727. You can also swap in valve springs and a 4,200 rpm spring if you need more top end. All I have done to my trans is a Goerend converter and transgo shift kit and some good clutches. If I had to do it over again, I would do the steel planet, but most trucks I know of seem to let their planetaries go at around 500 rwhp and 1,000 lb-ft with a lot of traction (sled pulling or drag racing with a 4x4)

Unfortunately it is only a 2wd but that only makes it lighter thanks for the help anybody else have any suggestions?

I have been thinking about a 47re with a full manual valve body. to get the lockup converter I dont mind shifting . Rich

Thought about goin to a 47rh but its hard to find a cummins parts truck around here were i could get the newer bell housing starter and flexplate to mount it up

Thought about goin to a 47rh but its hard to find a cummins parts truck around here were i could get the newer bell housing starter and flexplate to mount it up

Check this place.....
It's where I got mine...

Barsley Auto in Pa

724-455-6100 ask for Jim

they have LOTS of Cummins parts for Dodges

Check : PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518
That's where I got my parts -- Level 3 Extreme Viper Kit #K47...And get a TransGo valve body kit also.
LOVE the lockup converter and the trans shifts solid...Going to bump the pressure from stock to ~ 190psi. Should make it even firmer.....
One thing you don't want to do is go into D and let it wrap up in 1st and 2nd and then take your foot off the throttle - - it'll snap your neck it shifts so hard...

Thanks for the info man sounds like just the place im looking for do you think theyd have linkages for a p pumped truck. and wat is involved in putting in a 47Rh in our body style truks?

You'll need a 47rh, 2nd gen trans adapter, flex plate and starter. You'll have to modify your trans cross member since the trans sit about 1" further back. You may have to shorten the drive shaft. few other littel things but it's pretty straight forward. IMO I'd do this before a A518.
The 727 is a good trans with a convertor and VB. It'll handle just about anything you're going to do with a DD.

thanks for the info so that really doesnt sound all to intensive to do what is the best kind of valve body or shif kit i can get for that 727:thankyou2:

If you want to stick with the 727 you can get a Conv. and VB from Goerend for under a grand.

A&A is the best place for Parts for a dodge Transmission. You can not go wrong with there valve bodies! And They def have the knowledge as to what you need and will not oversell you! You will have to get your converter from somewhere else.

Does A&A have a phone number were i can reach them and do they sell heavier clutches or a rebuild kit also my trans is gettin a little on the tired side thatks for all the help and info your giving me thumbs up to you guys

Dumb question, looking at a 1st gen auto with 67,000 miles for cheap and its mint. However dont know much about 727 thats comes in them. Does the 727 have an OD unit? Pretty much asking what is the shift pattern and is there TC lockup? Truck is 93' 4x4 auto, dont know that gears in it. I'm all over the 47re in my 98' 12v.

If it's a 93 it will have an A518, not a 727. 727's where 89-91.5 and A518 91.5-93. The A518 is an OD trans that is non lockup like your 47re is. The 727is a 3 speed.

Dumb question, looking at a 1st gen auto with 67,000 miles for cheap and its mint. However dont know much about 727 thats comes in them. Does the 727 have an OD unit? Pretty much asking what is the shift pattern and is there TC lockup? Truck is 93' 4x4 auto, dont know that gears in it. I'm all over the 47re in my 98' 12v.

'93 would be a 518, which is essentially a 727 with an OD. Unfortunately all 1st Gen automatics were non lockup.

Back