76 chevy k20 354 perkins

JBrassfield715

First off i'm completely new to the perkins an all its workings. I just picked up a 76 chevy camper special k20. and from the info i was given its an 82 t354 perkins, and has a 5 speed out of an isuzu behind with a 205 trans fer case. I'm wondering what all i can do with this motor or where to even find parts. Kind of wanting to make this into a tow rig but only talking about towing a trailer with a truck on it. Any info would be appercited thanks.

I'm wondering if theres like gov springs you can change or other stuff u can do to the pump, i'm just completly new to the perkins set up

There's a guy on here that has one of these in an old Ford one ton. I believe it has compound turbos and is making quite a bit of power. Maybe he'll chime in.

the 6.354 perkins wasn't known for being a huge powerhouse, but they sure were good on fuel. I've been eying a '73 international pickup that has one from the factory here.

I had a van with a 4 banger perkins in it.. had a rotary pump that turned up just the same as all the others I have messed with. Im sure you can get some more power out of it. I just don't know how much. Intercooler wouldn't hurt either..

Ya I've been reading through Dale's thread on his ford but his looks like a p-pump set up. I'm not going for huge horse, i just wanna play with it and make it run good and see what all it can do. And ya I got it just because it was something differnt than a cummins in one.

I haven't had much luck finding out any particulars on turning it up, but I'd drive it!

Found a hx35, gonna stick that on there and see if the pump needs more with that turbo. Buddy of mine thinks the pumps pretty basic to turn up and see what we can do with it. Have drove it about 500 miles so far and it barley sips the fuel on open highway.

They can run no doubt. There is a member on here who I am friends with who has one in a pulling tractor.

The way I think about them, they are the small block chevys of diesel motors......rpms are their friend

should be just a fuel screw similar to a 1st gen ve pump, the 4cyl one I did had a sheet metal cap over it, also you can screw the top speed limiter in to give it more where the linkage is on the pump, might have a tamper wire on it also..
if you can take some pictures of the pump and we can help you turn it up.. the top, back and both sides, also where the pump is held on that is where the timing can be changed by loosening and twisting the pump..

I have another thread on here. 1965 Chevy with a 354 in it we,re redoing the truck for my buddy that in Afghanistan
What pump do you have there was a few of them.
I had a 372 Perkins in my ford before there is pictures if the difference in pump on that thread.The cav pump on the 372 is the better one not a hydraulic fuel Governor.
Tomorrow I will post some info on tuning a CAV up.

That Perkins will have no problem towing anything you hook on to.it has a 5" stroke same stroke that is in my 6.0.
My pump is a little MW maximum 220cc fuel.

Dale

Back